Bed time

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Nickrv, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nickrv

Nickrv Registered Users

Good evening everyone, we picked our 7 week old chocolate lab up today. Apprehensive to pick her up early but as most of the litter had gone didn't want to leave her own her own until next weekend. Several years since I have had a puppy and already living the joy.... Never been outside so much in a day with a puppy that seems intent on playing outside chasing leaves in the garden and going to the toilet in the house... Wrong way round but am sure we will sort in the coming days and weeks. The question I have is bed time, she has settled in so well during the day both eating and drinking really well with several snoozes through the day. Just putting her to bed in her crate which we have also put a pen round with her puppy pad in. In her crate we have put her bed in with a couple of soft toys. The breeder recommended that we stick to a routine very much like a baby and at bed time put her to bed and although she might cry we must leave her and after 30 or so minutes she will quieten down and go to sleep she did say this would take 3 or 4 nights and would be hard to not go in when she is crying but we must do it so that she has the going to bed cycle. Proving hard don't like to listen to her crying but is this what everyone else did with a new puppy. Thank you for reading and hopefully offering advice and guidance. Another question, any tips for toilet training would also be greatful.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there, exciting times!

Yes, I did the same with my puppy, because that's what the breeder said, and that's what my mum used to do. It does work ok, and there are some advantages to it. I did end up with a very quiet dog that slept through the night and didn't make any noise in the morning, and I'm sure not going down in the night helped. If this is what you think is best, it will work out just fine.

I wouldn't do it again though. Next time I'd have the puppy in a box by my bed, or I'd sleep with the puppy for a few nights and gradually move the puppy to being on its overnight. I think this because the poor thing has just been taken from its mum, siblings and every thing it has ever known. I think that's enough for one day, without being left on his own in a strange place too.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi and welcome to the forum :) Congrats on your new pup!

I too have done the 'leave them in a confined space in another room' thing (and just ignored the heartbreaking crying) but, like Julie, I wouldn't do it again either. I'd have the pup in a crate by my bed. I'd set my alarm to take the pup out at regular times (so I wake the pup up to go out and not the other way round). When the pup got too big I'd move to a bigger crate. Once s/he could sleep through the night I'd dispense with the crate and just go with a dog bed. The dog would stay sleeping in my bedroom (current dog sleeps on our bed).

Totally understand though that a permanent arrangement of the dog in the bedroom isn't for everyone. Even if you start out in the bedroom you don't have to keep it that way. After the first week or so you can start moving the crate closer and closer to its eventual destination - maybe 1 metre closer a night. Starting in the bedroom is comforting for the pup though, until they find their feet in their strange new world.

So, it's up to you...you can switch tonight or tomorrow night or just leave things as they are (but ignoring the crying from your pup).

Ask all the questions you want here - that is what the forum is for :)

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I've had the leave them to cry advice previously but with Juno it took one little cry when we turned the light off in the kitchen. We took her upstairs in her crate and had her in the bedroom. I got up once during the night for toilet and then around 7 - 7:30. Around 11 nihts in the bedroom and then left her in the kitchen in her crate and never had a peep from her.

5. Rocky-mum

Rocky-mum Registered Users

Congratulations on your new puppy, exciting times:) I learned from others here and kept Rocky next to my bed in his crate for few nighrs, slowly moved the crate over next 1 month ( I could have done it sooner but missed him in my room so kept delaying, he was fine) to living room. He slept through the night , no cries after initial toilet trip days.

You will find a lot of info on toilet training on. Happy puppy site or Pippa's happy puppy handbook. All the best

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I sleep with them downstairs next to the crate until they settle. With Rory it took 3 nights. 1st night had to sleep touching him till he drifted off then he woke if I moved away so slept there next to him but not touching. 2nd night he settled quickly and I slept on the sofa so he could hear me talk to him if he got upset and 3rd night just put him in his crate he settle and slept though til 5 (which is when I get up normally) 4th night i went to bed as normal. He did not cry and woke at 5 with the others.
    i was lucky with Rory he settle well and he was toliet trained very quickly.The other dogs also helped him get into the routine.
    I much rather sleep with them and not let them cry, my neighbours would complain a lot if my dogs made any noise too.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,I had an older puppy (5 months) he'd got off a flight and been in a livestock box for about 10 hours and I tried to leave him straight away overnight because again,it's what my Mum had always done and the breeder told me to do.I couldn't bear hearing him cry and rang Mum who is quite a tougtie when it comes to discipline and routines Boy did she have a go at me for leaving him! I was down the stairs in a leap and slept withhold that night and then on the sofa the next night...by then he had settled in and was fine....Knowing what I know now,I wouldn't leave a new,young puppy straight away.
    Dexter is on our bed now! And I mean 'head on the pillow in between us ' on the bed!

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi there. I had planned to put Willow in a crate in our bedroom for the first few nights, but the crate was so big it would have been a nightmare to move it from bedroom to living room and back every day. So, we decided to try her on her own from the first night. She whined a bit for 15 minutes on the first couple of nights, but that was it. I set my alarm to get up at regular intervals to take her out to the toilet. This worked for us, but if she had been very upset, I would have slept on the sofa in the same room as her for a few nights. I did this anyway when she had a dicky tummy for a few days, because I had to get her outside as soon as she woke.

9. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Which way you introduce a pup is entirely up to you, but it will still have to have that first night alone sometime.
    IMO the first night home should be the first night alone, having had many pups over the years? Some are absolutely fine, some cry and howl.
    But they will learn if you do not go to them that they must settle down and sleep, just ensure that they have been outside to relieve themselves and they are also tired, pop them in the crate cover it lights out. A radio can also help.
    Thats what we have done with our present pup (Kira) now 11 weeks sleeps from 11pm to 7am? First night she cried for about 20 mins, not had a peep from her since.

Sue.

BevE likes this.
  10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

With each pup (3 so far) I have put lots of teddies in their bed, radio on and a ticking clock nearby, then I leave them to cry. But I have had a box by my bed ready in case they didn't settle. I decided 20 minutes was as long as I could stand! Luckily all three cried a little but settled before the 20 minutes were up! I will do the same with the next pup.

With Tatze I had a crate but with the second two I had a puppy pen with pads so that I didn't need to get up for toilet breaks, but I got up very early (5:30am) so that their morning poo could be outside. All pups, crated or not, were no different toilet training wise. I think they last through the night when their bladders are ready.

Here is a good article - http://www.thelabradorsite.com/how-t...abrador-puppy/

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I didn't have any problems with Pops, as she settled down in her crate next to Bones in his bed, so she felt secure and didn't cry at night. But in the past I have fostered a couple of puppies. I remember one who I had for two weeks before he was due to go to his new home. The people who were taking him wanted him used to sleeping on his own, but I couldn't stand the crying! So he ended up in my bedroom, and we all got a good night's sleep. After a couple of days I once he was settled in I was able to put him in another room with the other dogs at night, and all was well.

12. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I wouldn't leave a puppy to cry (or a baby). I've had 3 of my dogs from puppies and have had each in the bedroom with me to start with and had no crying. I've also moved them downstairs after a few weeks without any difficulty.

13. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Welcome to the forum, pictures of your little puppy would be lovely.

When Mabel arrived she slept in a small travel crate at the end of the bed (I slept in the spare room as OH works long hours). She never made a sound, same on the second night so I left her in the spare room on her own to sleep. Still not a sound. I then moved her down to the kitchen. I had an old fleece with her mothers scent in the crate I also bought a puppy cuddle pal which was also covered in her mothers scent.
    The reason I did it this way was as a teenager I had a puppy who cried and howled at night alone in the kitchen. It was heartbreaking and I said I'd never do it again.

14. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Welcome from me and my two dogs . When I brought Sam home at 9 weeks old, he slept at the side of our bed in his bed for about a week . To be honest, it was a nightmare because , like Mums with new babies , I woke every time he stirred , then seeing me awake , he thought it was playtime ! Thankfully , after about a week, he just decided to stay in the sitting room with our other older dog , and even more thankfully, he didn't cry :)

15. Nickrv

Nickrv Registered Users

Well it is now night 3 and 4.43 in the morning. We are still persevering with Daisy in the kitchen. Night 1 I ended up on the couch in the family room next to her crate as I couldn't put up with the crying. Night 2 she whined for what felt like hours but we got about 4 hours sleep and tonight she had about 20 mins about midnight and now she's been going about 30 minutes. Last night we gave in about 5am and that was it no going back to bed or sleep.... Please tell me it does get easier as we have a 10 year old who doesn't sleep with the howling and whining... Daisy is lovely and in many ways has settled in quickly but this no sleeping is no good. I would think about moving her into our bedroom but am slightly concerned that Daisy would see this as battle won.. Am I being an idiot thinking that a 7 week old puppy would see it as battle won? As for toilet training she now goes to the toilet everywhere apart from her puppy pad which she sits on after going to the toilet...... O the joy. Last night she learnt a new trick though... On the first night which was Sunday she couldn't get over the step to go outside now she does a little leap off it, all very cute. Last night, Tuesday, we lost her searching frantically all of a sudden she came sliding down the stairs on her belly, in 2 days she had learnt to get up snd down the stairs, so she is a smart cookie, but the present she left us took the initial shine off,, anyway going to try and get another hours sleep.... Any advice would be most welcome and thank you for your encouragement and advice to date.

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah bless ,sounds full on and .......completely normal!
    If you have no issue with her being in your room,then I would do that for a couple of nights...everything is so new and bewildering for her she is that little bit younger.....she won't feel victorious over you,she will just feel calmed by being close to you.After a couple of settled nights you can move away from you if you want to get her sleeping comfortably on her own .
    I'm not the best to help you with the toilet training issue...I didn't have to do it from scratch as Dexter was older and when Mum used to do the family dogs she didn't use puppy pads.I think though you might be confusing her if you are using the puppy pads AND taking her out ......the puppy pad would be useful for times you need to leave her or if you aren't getting up in the night but whilst you are there of a day I'd just make sure you are taking her out really regularly ( which will be a lot at first) definitely straight after she wakes up after a snooze,say 20 mins after her meal and immediately if you see any sniffing signs.I don't know how you encourage the pads,members that have used them will help you with that I'm sure X
    I would say just be careful with her jumping off the step...it only sounds small but you really don't want her doing any joint damage whilst she is so young,likewise I'd be blocking off the stairs so she's not up and down as she likes ,if you want her to come up with you I'd carry her up and down.Bet she looked cute sliding down on her tum though
    Everything does get easier.....it's just so much to get organised when they first arrive home and I'd be a liar if I told you it isn't tiring but you will see progress and get through x

17. Pip

Pip Registered Users

Hello!
    I just wondered how that has worked out for you since your posts in November and December. We've had out puppy (Bonkers) for 1 week now since she was 7 weeks. Our breeder recommended we sleep downstairs with her for the first 3 nights which we has turned into 6 nights and we definitely want to return to our own bed! The one night we did try and leave her she cried a little so I went out to let her out.
    For me it's more her toilet times. They are completely all over the place at night and difficult to predict. During the day she mostly goes outside but at night she won't cry to be let out but just do it on the floor (wee and poo). The times are usually around 12.30pm and 4.30am. We've tried to guess her but it doesn't work! Aargh!
    I'm probably answering my own question in that I need

18. Pip

Pip Registered Users

Sorry, pressed return too quick...I probably need to set my alarm earlier and 3 times a night.
    She's a very bounced puppy so doesn't always want to go back to sleep either.
    Mostly interested in how you got on though...!
    Thanks
    Pip

19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi Pip and welcome to the forum :) She is still very much a baby and at eight weeks , will have very little bladder control , that will come I promise ! Do you have her in a crate ? It can help to crate , even if you only use it overnight and when you have to leave her, make sure that the crate is big enough to provide a sleeping section and a space for her to toilet . Re sleeping with her , its tempting I know , and she is very young indeed, but she will get used to you being with her, which will make it hard when you have to separate . We usually advocate bringing a puppy home at a minimum of eight weeks , one reason being that they do become a little more independent and mature in the last week or so with Mum . Good luck , it does get easier .

20. Pip

Pip Registered Users

That's great! Thanks for your reply and the reassurance! She sleeps in a travel crate but the door doesn't close (she chewed the zip up...of course!) so she basically has the run of the kitchen. She's never messed the crate though and tends to quietly do it in different spots of the kitchen.
    We are definitely going to try and sleep in our own bed upstairs tonight but with all doors open (except baby gate of course) and I will set my alarm 3 times perhaps? She's not too bad at going back in to her crate and back to sleep so fingers crossed for her!