Bella not off the lead!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CDM, Jan 2, 2015.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

:mad:

So Bella had her second injection today and I had got all excited planning a trip to let her off the lead etc this weekend and start working on the recall .......that was until the vet told me to wait another ten days before she can go on the ground ::) ten days?! She will be 12 and a bit weeks then so I need to get doing more recall at home in the meantime! Disappointed :( did you all wait that long??

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: Bella not off the lead!

Willow was already 13 weeks when she had her second jab. The vet told us to wait three days. We waited that long, then were careful for the next week and didn't take what we considered to be unnecessary risks - kept to quiet areas, away from unvaccinated dogs. You have to balance all the risks and make the decision. Good luck :)

3. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

We were lucky our vet advised waiting 7 days and I think that took Inca up to 12 weeks. I would agree with Fiona and balance out the importance of letting Bella off the lead against all the risks.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I can't quite remember now....I think we went out pretty much as soon as second vacs were done, certainly before he was 11 weeks he was out and about. He had his first vaccs the day he came home a couple of days before he was 8 weeks.

We took him to puppy school way before his second vaccs - he came home on the Saturday, got his vaccs, and went to puppy school on the Tuesday with a mix of puppies that had their 1st and 2nd vaccs. So we were doing recall in a church hall with other puppies and things like that right away.

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Maisie had her vacs at 8 and 10 weeks and I was told to wait a week before going out for walks.

6. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Cupar had to wait two weeks after his second vacc. One case of parvo locally was enough for me to stick to my vets advice.

He was one very wriggly pup by this time.

7. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Just been to get Izzys 2nd jab and our vet said wait a week. She still has another jab in a fortnight.
    Claudia...how much does Bella weigh at the moment?

8. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Thanks for the replies, I think they usually say 7 but he was being extra cautious... Why is izzy having a third jab Wendy? Is that kennel cough?

Wendy at 11 weeks she weighed 7.6kg today ( she was 5.6 2 weeks ago) getting very heavy now!!! :) what about Izzy?

9. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Ive no idea why the 3rd jab, i thought they all had 3?
    Izzy is only 5.5 kgs, but she is crossed with a springer, so i think she is going to be a smaller dog. She is putting on about 1.5 kgs per 2 weeks, so im not worried.

10. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Awww bless her. Kennel cough is an optional extra, but no, only need the 2 to protect from those nasty diseases ( according to my vet?!) and then a yearly booster. I'd check with your vet though?

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Wendy68 link=topic=9334.msg134091#msg134091 date=1420224448]
    [/quote]

Three vaccinations is now the recommended schedule - although lots of vets still only do two. Lochan explained this a little while ago, I'll see whether I can find it.

12. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Ooooohhhh wonder why my vet didn't mention it?! [quote author=JulieT link=topic=9334.msg134096#msg134096 date=1420224932]
    [quote author=Wendy68 link=topic=9334.msg134091#msg134091 date=1420224448]
    [/quote]

Three vaccinations is now the recommended schedule - although lots of vets still only do two. Lochan explained this a little while ago, I'll see whether I can find it.
    [/quote]

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Don't know....maybe your vet has a different view?

[quote author=Lochan link=topic=6382.msg84496#msg84496 date=1401734125]
    Routine vaccinations at 8 and 10/12 weeks are the norm, but current WSAVA guidelines are to repeat the parvovirus component at 16 weeks to catch the small (but significant) minority of pups which do not develop immunity to parvovirus at 8 and 10/12 weeks. I have vaccinated all my own pups at 8, 12 and 16 weeks, but got them out and about on fields, beaches etc from 13 weeks (low risk parvo areas). It may be of interest to point out that the last 4 cases of clinical parvovirus infection we have seen in our practice have all been in pups between 6-12 months of age who have had 2 parvo vaccines as puppies finishing at 10-12 weeks of age.
    [/quote]

The WSAVA guideline are here:
    http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/...ccination Guidelines Updated July 29 2013.pdf

14. CDM

CDM Registered Users

I shall check, he said just booster next year. I chose that vets as they've got a really good reputation hmmm.

15. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

I'm in the US, and my Bella has had 3 out of 4 of her recommended vaccines. She got the first one at 6 weeks, and then 9, 12, and 16 weeks... At the 12 week she got the kennel cough one, and at 16 she will get her annual Rabies.

Bella has been out and about since we got her at 7 weeks, with going to work with my DH during the work week, and having to potty in town. Any off lead time she's had has been at home around our farm and in the big open farm behind us...so risk of exposure has been pretty limited.

I haven't heard recently of much trouble with parvo and such in our local area, and our vet hasn't expressed any words of caution about it either. Living out where we do has it's benefits!