Benson is going to Ringcraft classes!

Discussion in 'Ringcraft and Showing' started by Beanwood, Jan 20, 2017.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Fantastic! Well doe both of you :D:cool:

2. Lisa

Lisa Moderator Forum Supporter

Great job! Can't wait to hear about the next session. Benson wasn't bothered by the biscuits? (And when I say "bothered", I mean he didn't try to eat-eat-eat all of them??)

snowbunny likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

That all sounds really good!

4. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

It was a terrible bother when I had to teach Poppy to stand for the judging for the conformation test she needed in order to pass the requirements for a breeding bitch. Next dog is going to learn it from day 1!

snowbunny likes this.
  5. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done to you both. Sounds really positive :)

6. Cath

Cath Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Wonderful Kate and Benson. Great report :clap:

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Indeed! Luna hasn't learnt a default sit, because I don't want her to offer that instead of a stand - with W&S it was the first thing I taught. I'm teaching them to stand, too, just for fun, but it's tough because they're so quick to sit. Very quick clicking and throwing the treat in the floor is helping.

Sounds like a positive experience, Kate. I got my lead from Weathertop, they have a good selection and are reasonably priced. Not to mention Weathertop is in Luna's pedigree ;)
    I'm off to my class tonight! Eek!

Beanwood and Karen like this.
  8. snowbunny

I really think it depends on who is judging. That's one thing I've discovered; you choose your shows based on how well your type of dog will do under the scheduled judge. I find it a shame, but that's just part of the game.

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Subvert! Yeah!

Beanwood likes this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That seems the most important point to me. I wish all classes were like that, sounds great, it would make life so much easier. I wonder if that's a better way to introduce a puppy to training and being handled in a relaxed environment rather than puppy classes. Vet trips would be easier for lots of dogs too. :)

Well done both of you sounds like you really enjoyed the class. Look forward to your next instalment :)x xx

Beanwood likes this.
  11. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

12. Beanwood

Forgot to mention, there were quite a few pups...all very happy, in their little areas. For £3.00 a session, seems like a very good alternative to puppy classes! ...hmmmm I wonder how @snowbunny is getting on?:rolleyes::D

Karen and snowbunny like this.
  13. Beanwood

We went to another ringcraft class last night. We were both more involved this time, standing in line and waiting our turn to trot up and down, then stand nicely for the judges. They examined his mouth, back, ears and ran their hands over his erm....boy parts, where there was some confusion over his "growing" plums. I explained his implant is wearing off, so that caused a lot a interest and discussion :) Benson is great at being handled, and didn't bat an eyelid when without any warning, complete strangers put their hands in his mouth.Good boy!
    His stand needs more work, I got told off for bribing him position..and if I fed him too many treats he will get fat! I didn't mind, actually appreciated their awareness over the health of Benson.
    I need to work on Benson turning nicely at the end of each walk up, he kind of runs the end....and lunges at however might be there, instead of a neat turn of heel. We worked on the triangle too, basically you trot your dog up and across, so the judge gets all the angles, then back into a stand.
    I did ask one judge about his faults, and got the same remark re: chocs don't do well, I pressed on this and got no-where really. I don't mind Benson having faults so to speak, really I don't, just got worried with the very evasive answer! I mean, is he really that bad??:D:eek:

Kelsey&Axel, Joy, MF and 2 others like this.
  14. snowbunny

Ah, sounds like you have plenty to work on. It sounds better structured than the class I've been going to. I'm not sure if I can be bothered to go tomorrow, for the last one.
    Do you cue the turn?

15. Cath

Cath Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great work both of you :clap: Love reading about you and Benson at ringcraft class

MF likes this.
  16. Beanwood

I think I need to put the turn on cue, as unsurprisingly he is a bit unsure about what to do.

I have to admit to being a bit ambivalent about this showing malarky, seeing the dogs being primped and fussed. They were all very serious, and a few were already champions, even at Crufts. One mentioned that this years Crufts was going to be his last, and she would be retiring him to lead a normal life, her words "to let him be a dog". I was a bit shocked by that tbh.

Karen likes this.
  17. snowbunny

I joined the FB page of the club hosting the show this morning, and they seem lovely. They have a mentor scheme for newbies, so when you turn up, you'll be given someone who helps you out with what you do ad where you go, when. For me, that'll be "over there, get in the ring, you're up!", since we're the first class :eek:

Karen likes this.