Best collars

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by snowbunny, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Thank you Julie.

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I find collars with a buckle a faff trying to get them to the right size with their pre-punched holes being either too loose or too tight, and that prong is pretty dangerous to fingernails.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I used to use the padded Ancol collar with a buckle. One of the rivets came loose. And I read on here about dogs getting strangled during play and the hazards of NOT having a quick-release system. Might have been @charlie 's Helen, but someone else posted on her too.

I use a Trixie collar - I was attracted by the berry colour to be honest - I quite like it though.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003RKMM...TF8&colid=1GRTBOWQ2ASOT&coliid=I3BEHAHX8VU6E8
    The clip goes through a ring before snapping into the plastic clip. The lead is attached to the ring (if you don't use a slip) and so there is not direct tension on the clip which I think makes it safer.
    And if you unclip the clasp, the lead doesn't "fall off", it just loosens it, as you need to pass one of the clips back through the ring.
    It sounds a fiddle perhaps, but less so than a buckle in my opinion.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes it was me. Briefly, it was Hattie & Charlie playing indoors, Charlie got his bottom canines caught under Hattie's collar he struggled tightening the collar round Hattie's neck so she couldn't breath. I had to take Charlie's weight whilst David frantically tried to undo the buckle of Charlie's collar to release them both but Charlie was still struggling it was extremely difficult. Absolutely terrifying experience and Hattie nearly died :( Needless to say our dogs NEVER EVER wear their collars indoors.

Please, please also be aware that leaving a collar on your puppy or dog whilst in a crate can cause death if they become caught. Far safer to remove collars whilst in your home.

I like that collar Jac, looks safe too.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

So scary for you Helen.
    It made quite an impression on me.
    Lilly NEVER wore her collar in her crate, and it always comes off at the front door.

charlie likes this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Very scary and I will NEVER forget it, Hattie screaming before she couldn't breath. Sends shivers down my spine :(:(:( x

7. Debs

Debs Registered Users

These collars look exactly the same as the Nobby ones I buy!

8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

9. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

The Trixie are very like the Wolters collars as well, except the the Wolters are padded and two tone. I like them for having the safety ring. Even when unclipped the clasp doesn't come straight through

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

The Nobby, Go-walk, Wolters and Trixie are all pretty much the same design, aren't they?
    Small style differences.

11. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Yes, all look very much the same!

12. Emily

Emily Registered Users

That's the same set up as the ROGZ one we have for Ella :)

Debs and drjs@5 like this.
  13. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

That must have been awful :(
    I've now got a trixie collar from our local pet shop today, also ordered the MiaK9 that @JulieT mentioned and a nobby one that @Debs mentioned. Can't hurt to have spares and try a few out :)
    No more buckles for us after reading what you went through.

Debs likes this.
  14. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I have Wolters padded collars for my two because they came in pretty colours and I can put an indigo tag on them. They still leave a dent in the coats of my lab and spaniel. I'd like to find a collar that doesn't do this but I think it's unlikely......

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  15. Seven

Seven Registered Users

I have 2 dogs. We have different collars. Now we use Coastal Rustic. Coastal Rustic vintage leather collars are made in the classic Western style using artificially aged brass fittings. The leather part of the manual slave collar is made of elastic, incredibly durable and durable leather. There are still good options.https://leather-toolkits.com/reviews/best-leather-dog-collars/

16. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I would not recommend any of these buckle collars. If they do get caught, they are much more difficult to remove.