best dry food

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by loverlab, Jan 4, 2014.

1. loverlab

loverlab Registered Users

Dont think rc labrador junior agrees witj willow stools nit always firm and wind bad .

Whats best dry food?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: best dry food

Gosh!
    How long have you got?
    The answer to that is probably the best that you can afford, that suits your dog!
    Really helpful, I know.
    Lots of people on her use Burns, quite a few Royal Canin, but loads of others too.
    I have Lilly on Eden Hollistic, a high meat/protein and fruit/veg food with no grain.
    This topic is a minefield, as I have said before ;D
    http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/ MIGHT help, but might just confuse you more.
    Just remember that any change of food can take a couple of weeks and it might be another month or more before you know if its right for you and your dog.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I use royal canin junior, but the gastro one which helped make Harley's firm ;)

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I've tried three different foods with Penny so far.

1. Purina Beta Puppy - gave her loads of gas and her poo wasn't good - was going several times a day and always loose.
    2. Wainwrights - this was good. Way better than the Beta Puppy. Her stools were firmer and she had less gas but I still wasn't happy with how she was doing on it.
    3. Arden Grange - I have found this stuff fantastic. Penny has no more gas and her stools are perfect. She's happy and full of energy. Never seen her coat so good.

However as a previous poster mentioned you should try and feed the best you can afford. The plus side with the more expensive foods is that you can feed a smaller amount as they have better nutrient content etc.
    Also bear in mind that what works well for one dog, doesn't work well for another so just because several people recommend a food to you doesn't mean it will suit your dog. It's a bit of trial and error really.

5. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

I have fed our dog Pero Labrador Life for the year and a half we've had her. Her coat shines, she has plenty of stamina and her once a day poos are well formed

6. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Just want to back up the comment about Arden Grange, Otis my nine month old lab, was on beta puppy but his poo was soft, and his coat was all dry. I changed it to Arden Grange, puppy, and then at six months he went onto the adult, his coat is lovely and he does about two firm poos a day. It is a little more expensive, but its really good stuff, I would recommend it .

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Naya link=topic=3889.msg44680#msg44680 date=1388866946]
    I use royal canin junior, but the gastro one which helped make Harley's firm ;)
    [/quote]

I did too and then have moved onto the adult one...and it works very well, It can only be bought at the vet though as it is considered a 'medical diet' where I live in Dubai .I did question going onto a lamb/fish based food recently when we seemed to have a run of upsets but I think we (chris) had got lax about policing his rummaging whilst out on walks ..... :mad: we've ( he's ;D) tightened up and the issue seems resolved! X

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam was becomming very itchy , so we switched to Skinners Salmon and Rice which is wheat free , the itching stopped , firm poo once or twice a day. Both of them are on it but also have raw foods as well , I get mine from Amazon and use their subscribe and save so it works out very reasonably priced .

9. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

How long from changing foods would you decides that it's not right for them? Iv changed murphy to wainwrights recently, he's had about a week of just wainwrights and in the last few days he's been so farty and smelly! He's also scratching a little more. I dont know whether to finish the bag at least and see if he improves? He was always a bit farty on Eukanuba before.
    Thanks in advance! :)

10. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

That's a tricky one. I would say if you're noticing that he's not doing well on the food already then you could think about switching. But on the other hand you don't want to switch to too many different foods in a relatively small space of time because it could upset him more.