best harness?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LovelyBonny, Oct 15, 2014.

1. LovelyBonny

LovelyBonny Registered Users

Our first walk is fast approaching and i've been trying to get Bonny to walk around the garden on a lead.
    Is she interested? NO!!!!
    She flails around or sits still with her bum glued to the floor!

Would a harness maybe be better? :D

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: best harness?

Neither a collar or a harness will make a difference to your pup's ability to know that you want her to walk alongside you nicely. :) But the advantage of a back fastening harness is if she flings herself about, she won't get hurt. And you can distinguish the situations in which you are "just trying to get somewhere" (harness) with "training to walk nicely" (collar) if you wish to do so.

If you have a clicker, here is a good article on getting your dog to walk alongside you, at first without a lead:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/clicker-training-heel/

Once the dog can do that, you can put a lead on.

3. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

I use a harness, ts a Trixie adjustable jobby. Bouncer is fine with it & actualy walks loose lead with my 7 year old girl on the end of the lead.

remember to let your puppy off the lead in a public place as soon as you can, this will instill a "I want to be close to mum/dad/family mindset" in the pup. I was nerveous when I did it but now Bouncer is let off the lead nearly every day.

4. LovelyBonny

LovelyBonny Registered Users

I've even tried to get her to walk with me off the lead but she won't leave the garden unless carried! this evening i put her down just outside the garden and walked away (i figured just outside the garden wouldn't cause any harm!) and she just sat there and didn't move!

i even tempted her with ham! :p

THE JOYS! ;)

5. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=LovelyBonny link=topic=8286.msg117081#msg117081 date=1413394751]

i even tempted her with ham! :p

[/quote]

Im tempted ;p