1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Best Puppy Lead

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Wilson88, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Wilson88

Wilson88 Registered Users

I have been looking online to stock up on some essentials for when our little puppy is able to be taken out for his first walk. I was wondering what is the best lead as a puppy. Should i buy a simple lead with a clip or are slip leads good? I know i need to be careful as his neck is fragile. Please advise

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yes, just an ordinary clip-on lead is best, with a harness. Slip leads are really for dogs working on private land so they’re not wearing collars, and should only be used if you know your dog won’t pull.

Welcome to the forum - tell us about your pup.

3. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi and welcome. A flat collar and lead are best, also might be worth getting a harness as this can help protect his neck if he pulls.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I always walk my puppies on a harness to start off with, as they protect the neck when pup pulls (and pup will pull, even if just occasionally). I have used both the Puppia "type A" mesh harnesses (http://petlondon.net/index.php/retail/collections/puppia/harnesses.html) and the Blueberry comfy 3M harness (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blueberry-...2307319&sr=8-2&keywords=blueberry+harness+dog). On balance, I prefer the Puppia one for small pups. You can get similar very cheap versions on Amazon.

As Naya says, slip leads are more for dogs who are working, as the whole thing comes off and it's a legal requirement that all dogs carry identification by way of a name tag when in public. It's a bit awkward using a slip lead with a collar. In any event, because slip leads tighten, they are the same as a choke chain and not appropriate for a puppy. Some people will tell you differently, for sure, but these people are using punishment to get their puppies to do what they want, rather than using reinforcement to teach the puppy what is desirable behaviour. I do use slip leads with my own dogs, but only on my own land or when doing gundog training, and only when I know they won't pull at all. Oh, and my show dog, Luna, wore a show slip lead from a very early age, but again, only when training the show stack and gaiting, where she wouldn't be pulling at all.

It's important that you introduce the harness very slowly and gently, using lots of positive reinforcement. Some dogs don't like the feeling of having something on their body, so it needs to be built up gradually. Here's a little video I made, showing how I introduced it with Luna. You ideally want to carry on with this several times a day until the puppy is through adolescence, building up more and more positive associations with it. You can also try putting it on just for meals, kongs, chews etc and then taking it off again as soon as the puppy has finished.
    https://thislittledoggy.com/2017/01/08/desensitisation-to-the-harness/