1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Best Puppy Pens

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Nicola Thomas, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Nicola Thomas

Nicola Thomas Registered Users

Hi everyone - I'm new to the site and looking for a little advice. I am hoping to welcome a fox red pup to the family in early November and am completely over excited already and planning everything we may need. We have a fairly large garden and I am concerned that it, while secure, may be a bit big to let a puppy out into in the middle of the night for toilets. Especially in November - I don't really fancy chasing a puppy around a freezing cold garden at 2am! I was therefore thinking of getting a puppy pen, to give us both a bit of security, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on brand, size, etc. Thanks in advance!

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Nicola, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the impending arrival of your new puppy! We've got an article looking at various play pen options on the main site here: https://www.thelabradorsite.com/dog-playpen/ Hope it helps :)

3. Nicola Thomas

Hi Lucy - thank you! Sorry to ask a question with an obvious answer - I thought I'd had a good look around and couldn't find it - will look harder next time! :)

4. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

No problem - the answer is only obvious if you already know where to find it! If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help :)

5. Granca

Granca Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Nicola and welcome! You may also want to consider just fencing off a bit of garden by a convenient door where you intend to let the puppy out. That solution worked well for me when Wispa (6) and Tuppence (3) were puppies, even though the 'fence' was just some old border wire held up with bits of the metal-tubed frame of an old playhouse! I fenced an area directly outside a back door, including a bit of patio and bark-covered border. Luckily neither puppy seemed inclined to jump, although burrowing underneath was sometimes another matter!

6. Nicola Thomas

Thanks Granca - I was wondering about that, so will give it a bit more thought before splashing out on a pen. None of the pens I've looked at are particularly huge, so I was a bit nervous on spending money on something that would be defunct in a short time. Fencing off the patio and maybe a bit of grass would give a lot more space and wouldn't be impossible in our garden. Thanks for the suggestion! Wispa and Tuppence look gorgeous- which is which?

7. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi,we brought a temporary roll of plastic fencing from our local diy store and fenced off an area outside about 30 foot depth for our pup to use as our garden is 120 feet.

This worked brilliantly and we can easily remove when she's older.