Best training method for a lab?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by ChocolateLab, Feb 16, 2017.

1. ChocolateLab

ChocolateLab Registered Users

Trying to find a trainer but everyone has different methods, which is best for a lab?
    Started with one who wanted me to use a prong collar. He's 4.5 months old. He seemed more challenging after one session so I never used the prong collar and got a refund.

Got a consult with another trainer who wanted to use an e-collar, not as a shock collar they said. I don't think I like that idea either.

Max, our puppy has confidence issues they said, he is trying to dominate me.

He jumps and play bites and tears my clothes. He needs too much attn and I know I would like a trainer, and a fence. I am just not sure which is the best philosophy.

He needs a job they said... Impulse control is a job by staying in the same place. He shouldn't ever be on the couch. Invisible fences are good, bad, tie outs are good/bad, only supervised. I dunno, these are the confusing mixed ideas from trainers. He needs private training, he needs group training, clicker training, clicker training is for young puppies... I have heard so many different ideas and it's a little confusing.

Where is the app for this?
    Thx guys!

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

100% your puppy isn't trying to dominate you, he's just being a normal puppy.

You should look for a positive reinforcement trainer - it will be clearly stated on the website what type of training methods are used. I have found anything where the word "positive" isn't used means they use a mix of methods. Clicker training is a form of positive training and is great for puppies and they tend to learn quickly. Your puppy will love it.

You may have to search, talk to people and go further away to find a positive reinforcement trainer but it is worth it, as you will build a strong bond with your puppy and use only kind methods.

Prong collars, e collars, electric fence etc are forms of punishment and are red flags when looking for a trainer.

MF and ChocolateLab like this.
  3. ChocolateLab

Quinn,

Thanks! I agree with you. Any thoughts on a Martin-Gayle collar?

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

A martingale tightens up doesn't it? I would avoid that. A harness would be a kinder, more gentle choice.

5. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

The training classes we attend use operant conditioning, so rewarding the behaviour we want and ignoring or preventing the opportunity for the behaviour we don't. It works really well for Harley but it is SO MUCH harder than I thought because you need to be focused on her so much of the time and also be really consistent. But we are definitely going to stick with it. I am clinical psychologist and I really thought it would come so easily to me, and I get the concept but doing the work with the dog is hard. Hats off to BF Skinner and his pigeons.

On a slightly different note, we had an experience the other day when we went to select a harness for Harley and the salesman was insistent on selling us a Halti, which goes on her head. I don't know if he was getting extra commission on the sale of the product but it was like I was only having the conversation regarding the harness in my head and he couldn't hear me. Harley, at this point doesn't need any correction, she is still learning to walk on the leash but there aren't arent glaring problems. It was just an odd interaction. And I know I speak clearly. :)

6. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Wow, this seems a bit contradictory. Kind of makes you wonder if people listen to themselves sometimes!

If you can, try to steer clear of anyone who uses the whole dominant/submissive vocabulary. I really bought into that for many years, and I think it impeded progress with my dog and his on-leash dog-aggression issues. After a billion series of the Dog Whisperer, it's just sort of ingrained in our culture now but it's a philosophy, not an actual training technique. Thank you Forum for that part of my education. :)

Good for you for ditching the prong and not doing the e-collars. They don't work anyway. A group I used to volunteer at would have big, powerful pit bulls come into rescue wearing prongs and I can tell you, dogs quickly get used to any pain and just keep right on pulling. Ditto on choke chains.

This I DO agree with, 100%. Regular positive training with a goal (a job) is the miracle cure, especially for smart active dogs. Now, the job should be in line with what a 4.5 month old puppy can actually do - so you won't want him to be sniffing out drugs at the airport yet. But maybe sitting and waiting before he gets fed, building a good "watch me", doing a "go to your bed" or "relax" before playing with you and his favourite toy. I've not had a puppy in ages, so maybe someone else can suggest some appropriate puppy jobs?

As for the private vs. group thing - why not start with group and see how it goes? I loved group classes and only did private for service dog training as it was the only option at the time. I love to see the other dogs in a group class and learn a lot from watching others, plus the social aspect of it.

Bottom line is all positive - you don't need the funky collars, leash pops, etc. Just a lot of good stinky treats and good timing to reward the behaviour you want. Oh, and a lotta, lotta lotta patience. :p

7. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Can I suggest you look at the Kikopup videos on YouTube? The trainer only uses kind methods - positive reinforcement - and I've tried lots of her ideas and they've worked.
    I'd spend my money on a fence - or if your garden is huge then a fenced area - as then you can play with your puppy outside off lead.
    Puppies do need a lot of attention, but time spent now really pays off later. And don't even consider a prong or ecollar. Good luck!

ChocolateLab likes this.
  9. Dalliance

Dalliance Registered Users

Sorry to the OP for taking this thread off on a tangent but I had to reply to Harley ,
    My Bella ( 18 month old ) has been causing some MAJOR issues with her pulling when on a lead , so much so that I am the only member of my family that now takes her for walks , anyway , we have tried different styles of harness etc and had mixed results ( at first she would stop pulling but then as time went on she would revert back to her old ways ) I reluctantly decided to try a Halti head collar ( I used to hate seeing a dog wearing one ) , I went for the Optifit which gives more room for adjustment and Bella has not looked back since .
    After a month of her wearing the Halti she now walks just on a harness without the Halti and is a pleasure to walk ....yes she still has odd moments of madness however my trusty clicker and bag of treats soon "snap" her out of them ,

To the OP ,
    In terms of training classes , I would agree with everyone else when they say you need to look out for trainers that use positive re-enforcement , I would also invest in , if you have not already done so , buying a "clicker" ( actually I would recommend buying more than one as they are very easy to lose) , as with Bella the clicker has been a godsend .

ChocolateLab likes this.
  10. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @ChocolateLab please run as fast as you can from any trainer who talks about your dog trying to dominate you or who wants to use prong or check/choke call, e-collars or invisible fences. They are not using positive, reward based training methods, they are using punishment. While these methods will gain results it is not without the risk of actually causing behavioural problems with your pup.

I'm guessing from your posts that you are in the USA so you could try www.apdt.com (the Association of Pet Dog Trainers) to try and find a positive trainer in your area. There is also www.imdt.uk.com (Institute of Modern Dog Trainers) who have members around the world or try www.petprofessionalguild.com where you can search for force free trainers in your area.

Good luck

ChocolateLab likes this.
  11. ChocolateLab

Thank you all for your responses! I've really taken all of your advice to heart. I found a trainer who uses only positive reinforcement training and a clicker. I took of the Martin-Gayle collar and the Fence guy should be coming next week for an actual fence, not an invisible fence. I've been reading the articles and links. So far things are good. He hasn't been AS bitey. I think he knows I'm on his team. I've been exercising him and trying to take him on little walks and I use a laser light to chase as well. I'm hoping things are going in the right direction.

A huge THANK YOU to all your responses!!!

Max also thanks you!❤

samandmole, drjs@5, Naya and 4 others like this.
  12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Oh, be careful with the laser light, dogs can be so transfixed with this, that they become completely obsessed!

charlie and ChocolateLab like this.
  13. ChocolateLab

Lol, ok. Maybe I'll stop using it once we get a fence. He's just so lazy outside. He just lays in the sun and doesn't run a lot, he waits specifically till I'm sitting down inside to lose his puppy mind and go all out turbo puppy.

14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I sound like Job's Comforter, but if Max is only 4.5 months old, you don't really want him chasing a light, bad for his joints. Perhaps hide his food around the house and let him find it, that should tire him out a wee bit. I think it is par for the course that pups wait until you want to sit down peacefully in the evening and they want to play! I couldn't wait for mine to be 6 months old when they tend to start sleeping in the evenings.

15. ChocolateLab

Thx Stacia, I had no idea! And I'm sorry, but at 6 months they do what?????????? Sleep more in the evenings?!?!? OMG. Best news today! I won't hold you to it but it's still a hope I will hold in my lil, tired heart.

MF, drjs@5 and Stacia like this.
  16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

@ChocolateLab - Max is lucky to have someone so caring. You're going to have such fun, growing learning together.

selina27 and ChocolateLab like this.
  17. ChocolateLab

Aww! Ok that REALLY MADE MY DAY! ❤❤❤

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If it doesn't happen on the dot of 6 months, it won't be long in my experience :)

ChocolateLab likes this.
  19. ChocolateLab

So I hid the food around the living room! So proud of my new game. Then a few minutes later I turned the Roomba-vacuum on. Not my brightest moment.

BUT, he found the food! New job, check.

samandmole, Stacia and drjs@5 like this.
  20. ChocolateLab

It's odd how some people are so adamant about their tools. Maybe he just felt his tools were the only tools. What a tool, lol jk. I've found with any positive reinforcement, it's takes quite an attentive owner to anticipate the right timing. I guess it's a ton of work upfront but the benefits of training must be such an amazing, quality relationship for the lifetime of the puppy. WORTH IT.

PS Skinner, haha. Flashback to Develpmental Psych. I'll look into the operant conditioning and now I'm curious about the pigeons. THX!

edzbird likes this.