Bile throw-up

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Hello All....hope you are having a great Sunday.
    When I got up this morning and went to wake up Cooper (12 months) yellow, noticed he had thrown up what looked like bile. Have been racking my brain trying to remember what he ate last night....his kibble at 6PM, a couple of treats maybe around 7PM. He goes to bed at 9....he puts himself to bed at this time....actually would probably go at 8 but I dont want to get up at 5AM!!
    This bile has never happened before. What is the cut-off time to give him treats at night? Have any of you had this happen with your puppy?
    This was just a liquid....nothing solid in it. Sorry to bring this up (no pun intended), but feel so bad for him having to throw up anything....bad enough what he picks up when he is outside...but dont want his human to give him something that makes him sick! Thanks for your help.

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Bile throw-up

It could be that he ate something from the garden or out in a walk sometime yesterday. Harley sometimes munches on grass and that is the same effect on her if I let her munch for too long.
    How has he been today?

3. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

He's fine today....I just like to keep his tummy on an even keel as much as possible. He has always had a very healthy appetite (as all labs do). I'm sure he will be fine and it was jus "something" as you say.....thank you!

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have heard that bringing up bile in the morning is because the dog is feeling hungry.

5. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Stacia, that's a great point! Never thought of that. True that he eats at 6PM and the next one is breakfast at 7AM...that is a long time. But he puts himself to bed at 9....how close to that can I give him a Milk Bone or biscuit?

6. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

I usually give Izzy a little biscuit before bed and havent had any problems.

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You could give him a biscuit just before he takes himself to bed, or give it to him as he settles down. Mine get three biscuits as they get into their beds.

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I wouldn't be too worried about an episode of bile. If it's repeated maybe have a chat with the vet, but one vomit never really worries me :)

I'm sure some extra biscuits will go down nicely though!

9. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Thanks, All. Yes, I will give him a couple of Milk Bones (they are pretty substantial) as he starts getting comfortable to go to sleep. I always give him a small treat when I kiss him good night (and, yes, he kisses me goodnight, too!)...but it IS a long time from dinner to breakfast so I will not worry about one time bile throw up but will incorporate a larger biscuit or two.....great tips.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh yes, bedtime biscuits are a must. Charlie gets a salmon strip, or 3 sea biscuits. A dog can't go to sleep without a few bedtime biscuits! ;D ;D ;D

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10204.msg149724#msg149724 date=1426454888]
    Oh yes, bedtime biscuits are a must. Charlie gets a salmon strip, or 3 sea biscuits. A dog can't go to sleep without a few bedtime biscuits! ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Oh dear, I feel like a horrible puppy mummy!! When they were crated at night, I used to give them a few bits of kibble for going in, but now they're decrated, they don't get bedsnacks anymore! They're normally fast asleep way before I go to bed anyway!

I've also heard about the "hunger vomit" and agree with the above that if it's not a common occurrence, I wouldn't worry about it. Like kids, puppies are prone to upset bellies now and then.

12. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Cooper is also decrated now and sleeps on his chewed up sofa! But, last night, I did give him two medium Milk bones before turning out the lights and this morning all was OK. So, from now on, he will get two of those biscuits! Maybe it was just a tummy upset yesterday but why not give him a treat at bedtime when it is such a long time till breakfast!
    We all learn so much on this Forum, don't we????

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My old dog was a bile vomiter, if he had to wait too long for his breakfast, so I would always give him a small breakfast quite early in the morning.

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

A dog can't go to sleep without a few bedtime biscuits! ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Hangs head in shame.....mine does :-[

15. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=10204.msg149909#msg149909 date=1426524855]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Quick! Call the RSPCA!!

Hahaha Penny gets a small handful of kibble to go to bed with which I think keeps her ticking over until morning, though she always acts like she's ravenous ALL the time!

16. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Ahhhh I stopped too after Bella started getting a night time runny tummy, nothing after 7 pm....but maybe I'll re introduce I feel bad now :).... Mean mum :-[

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Lordy! Lordy! Bedtime biscuits are a fundamental Labrador right! Up there with sofa rights....

18. Jen

Jen Registered Users

My dogs' had a phase of bringing up bile very early in the morning when they were pups. The vet told me it's usually when they are growing and too long between tea and breakfast. She told me to give them a ginger biscuit at bedtime. :)

19. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=10204.msg149909#msg149909 date=1426524855]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, no one tell Maisie bedtime biscuits are required! She's spoilt enough getting to sleep on the bed with me, I'm not having her get crumbs all over it.

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I'm with you on the crumbs.

My OH insists on the "bedtime gravy bone stash".
    Usually he has about eight of them (yes, EIGHT!! :eek: )
    I have managed to get it cut down to 5 or 6.
    Two get kept for the morning, but the others are "hidden" under the duvet for supper.

Who was it that said the OHs were harder to train than the dogs?