1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Biologically appropriate compromise options

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Ruth Buckley, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Hi again everyone, you were all so helpful before when I was having a crisis with my pup's behaviour. He's a lot better now and I need to pick your brains on a new subject.

I'd love to feed him a raw prey model diet but at the moment don't have sufficient freezer space. I'm compromising by feeding him Herrman's organic tinned pure meat supplemented with occasional raw beef ribs, duck necks and dried tripe sticks, dried sprats and also carrots and other veg and a small amount of wolf of wilderness kibble as training treats.

My concern about this diet is the Herrmann's tins are pure muscle meat and contain no offal or bone. The beef ribs he tends to strip of meat then nibble the ends. Do tripe sticks count as offal? I've offered him raw chicken liver and it's the only thing he's ever turned his nose up at.

His behaviour is hugely improved since i switched from kibble - there's probably a lot of factors involved here as he's 10 months old and I've had him 4 months so training/growing up/settling in will be significant - and he seems very happy and healthy but I worry he might be missing important nutrients. Can anyone recommend a tinned food that I can use as a compromise until I can start fully raw feeding? Or is there anything else I can add in that is easily available given my freezer is already fit to burst?

2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog Forum Supporter

Hi! I don't think this is what you're looking for, but it worked for me and may be a good stopgap measure for you. I used to feed my dog raw when we lived in my own house in California. I had plenty of freezer space and an area in the house where I could feed Brogan and give it a proper clean afterwards. I could also source (and carry in the car) all the raw I wanted.

Brogan and I then moved to Europe and started living exclusively in holiday rentals. I also had no car. That meant that I didn't have a place I could feed him that I could clean afterwards, I had mostly tiny 'city flat' refrigerators (often without even a small freezer space), I had to source everything within walking distance (so local grocery stores) and everything had to be carried on my back.

I switched to home-cooked and through trial and error figured out what worked best on Brogan's tummy. I ended up with something that worked very well - even as an oldster he had a lovely coat and was in very good health. The only difference I saw was his poo (raw makes nice hard poos where the home-cooked was inconsistent and definitely not hard unfortunately) and his teeth (no raw bones meant a tartar build up). Probiotics helped helped the poo situation and I scaled his teeth.

What I made for him (not all at once, but over a five day period or so) was chicken, turkey, liver/hearts/gizzards (chicken or beef), sardines (tinned), fresh fish (whatever at the market without bones), eggs, broccoli, courgettes, okra, apples, bananas, oils (flax seed, olive, fish), occasionally well-cooked plain oatmeal. Nothing needed to go in the freezer - I'd cook the chickens the same day I bought them (usually two at a time as that was what fit in the pot), debone and then chuck in plastic containers in the fridge and use within 3 days. Another day would be veggie cooking day. For every meal, I'd assemble a bit of everything into his bowl.

As it sounds like you can feed raw, is there a reason it needs to be frozen? When I started raw, there weren't any prepared versions, so it was simply going to the grocery store or butcher and getting whole chickens or bags of chicken/turkey necks or wings. Some of it went into the freezer as I had the space, but if you buy twice a week, I'd think you could just feed from refrigerated?

Ruth Buckley likes this.
  3. Ruth Buckley

My fridge is pretty much full as well unfortunately!
    I like the idea of the prepackaged frozen products just because they contain a balance of meat/offal/bone.
    I think I'm going to have to go for a bigger freezer. A reasonable tinned option would still be useful for holidays etc if one exists.

4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

You just need to ensure that the wet food is a 'complete' food and there are some very good options available.

5. Ruth Buckley

The complete options all seem to have a lot of carbohydrate filler - either grain or potato - which I was hoping to avoid.

6. MF

MF Registered Users

Organs only need to make up 10% of his diet, of which liver (an organ) should make up no more than half of that. People often tend to overfeed liver cos it’s so easily available.

People often under feed muscle meat, so it seems you’re doing well - it should account for 80% of the diet. Tripe is considered muscle meat for feeding purposes I believe.

The rest - 10% - should be non-weight bearing bone.

You can also add an egg every day - lots of nutrients.

A friend in Germany buys sachets of vacuum packed raw food - balanced meals. Half a sachet per meal, twice a day. But she has a miniature schnauzer - I think it could very costly to feed a lab that way. But if it’s available, perhaps you can add it to the mix?

We have a small freezer. Very difficult! It can take a months worth of food (approx 20kg). I get it delivered. 1kg packs of various - meaty venison neck bones, chunks of meat, tripe, etc. I don’t feed a balanced meal every meal because it’s too much work for me - I go for balance over a few weeks. The monthly order in total is fairly balanced, and I supplement with veg, fruit, eggs, kefir, etc. And sometimes buy beef or lamb at the supermarket if on special.

I’m wary of prepared “balanced” raw meals or pets mince from the supermarket because some bad suppliers put in too much ground bone, which can cause an obstruction - apparently. I’ve not had the experience, but I like to know what my boy is eating, hence why I buy it whole. I’ve heard supermarket pets mince should be avoided - lots of ground bone and processed meat past it sell date all minced up and sold off as dog food.

Ruth Buckley likes this.
  7. Ruth Buckley

Thanks for your very informative reply. I feed kefir too, usually just my spare grains but he loves it so much he gets a spoonful of the real thing too every now and then.
    I'll carry on as I am then until I get the new freezer sorted - I like the fact the herrmanns is organic. My friends start trapping squirrels at this time of year so that should provide a good supply of bones and organs.