Bitey face game

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Simba2017, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Simba2017

Simba2017 Simba and Minstrel worn out

i have a 10 week old yellow lab called Simba. His favourite game at the moment is to play bitey face, legs, ears etc with my 5year old chocolate Labrador Minstrel. She is very tolerant of this unlike my 12 year old cairn terrier who will snap back. Until today he has only play bowed to the cairn but today he has been told by her to leave her alone.

My question is how long should I allow Simba to play with Minstrel in this way? From her perspective she is quite happy with this game and when we seperate them she tries to go back for more.

I will be grateful for any advice as whilst it being quite cute to watch - I can forsee it getting out of hand when he grows even a bit bigger. Should I set a time limit for this sort of play? Should I put him in his crate for time out?

With us he isn't too bad - although he bites my son who is back from university the most - as he is a bit of a softie with the puppy. When he tries to bite me I say ouch and encourage him to play with a toy which works- but I do this even with mouthing and I don't tend to lay down with him.

Hope you can help

Thanks
    Lisa
    Adopted mum of Poppy, Minstrel & Simba

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Bitey-face is the best game ever. I let my lot (two at 2.5 years and one at seven months) play it as much as they like. They all understand when enough is enough and so they self-moderate. My two older dogs hated the puppy when she first arrived, so I find it joyful to watch them playing now :)

3. Simba2017

4. Simba2017

That's reassuring. Thanks Lisa x

5. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @Simba2017 it sounds as if the new pup and your younger dog are bonding really well :) and it's very positive that she goes back for more when separated. I would still monitor their play though and apply some time restrictions while your puppy is so young. Too much exciting play can be over stimulating for a puppy which is something to be avoided :) . In any event you will want to get be able to break up play when they are older at times so good to start laying the foundations now.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm always pleased that Tatze keeps the crocodile teeth busy lol

Here are Tatze and Mollie. I always 'Ave' Tatze once she's had enough - and she makes it very clear when that is, but she won't tell the pup!

'Tho Mollie's puppy licence ran out this very day and Tatze told her off for the first time! Mollie is 8 months old now :)

7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Other than watching to see that it does not get out of hand I would let it happen. Cooper (2) and Tilly (11) still do it. Tilly can stop it any time she wants, by just not participating. If the older dog really doesn't like it she will let the pup know.