Biting Legs

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by RuthElizabeth, Sep 11, 2018.

1. RuthElizabeth

RuthElizabeth Registered Users

Over the past week Yalom has started biting/nipping at my legs, usually around or behind my knees. It is super painful and I have a whole load of scabs and bruises on my legs. I try to walk to the baby gate and step over it each time he does it, then stay there for 10 seconds and repeat. Eventually he seems to get it and stop. What's confusing me is that it doesn't always happen when he's tired - it sometimes happens when he's just out of his crate or when he hasn't been out long.

Am I doing the right thing? Should I just keep going and eventually it will stop?

2. Browneyedhandsomebuddy

Browneyedhandsomebuddy Registered Users

Hi there, Buddy seems to find a new thing to try every few days (luckily not this yet) but it can be pinching washing, pinching coals of the gas fire (not when it’s on ha ha) chewing the washing basket etc.... and as with anything, consistency usually makes him forget about it.

If what you are doing seems to work, I’d keep going with it, and reward anytime he’s near you, calm and not biting. Hope that helps, I’m sure there’ll be more/better advice to come.... they do test us don’t they!!

3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @RuthElizabeth negative punishment is something that is determined by the dog, not we handlers. You say your puppy is beginning to cotton on to the desired behaviour, but the pace is painful. Maybe you might try removing the pup out of sight completely for the time out period rather than just climbing out of the pen, standing there in his presence and consistently coming back after 10 seconds. The pup may not believe your absence from the pen is that much of a punishment, after all, it's only for a routine 10 seconds. Experiment with different time outs, location of time out, and then determine the form of punishment reduces/stops the undesired behaviour.

A query prompted strictly out of curiosity Do English uni's allow puppy minding at work? Here in Australia it was forbidden to bring non-assistant dogs to work. We have a draconian attitude towards dogs in general. Forbidden from all public transport and most public areas, such as parks and beaches. Restricted instead to dog parks and dog beaches.

Beanwood likes this.
  4. RuthElizabeth

Thanks both. I will try going out of sight @Michael A Brooks and see if this helps.

Some universities allow dogs - my university doesn't have an overall policy but currently allows each department to decide. Luckily my department allows dogs in with you if you're a member of staff, so long as your office mates agree! Thankfully we have a very doggy friendly department and even do some research on canine communication, so I am very fortunate in this respect.

Chewies_mum and Michael A Brooks like this.
  5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Definitely be out of sight when puppy turns into a shark! Personally I have found crates better in this respect. Being stood close by, could be interpreted as still engaging with your pup, especially if you give him a surreptitious glance to check whether he has calmed down! :) I used to pop our croco- pup back in the crate with a few scattered treats, then would potter around in the kitchen, studiously ignoring puppy! :)

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  6. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

What sort of clothes are you wearing? Just because this kind of behaviour he will probably grow out of if you can weather it (regardless of what you do and going out of the room etc), so it may just be about finding a way through it for the time being. Wearing shorts or dresses is going to result in zero protection for you, and a lot of bruises - but wearing denim is probably the best move and will protect your legs some until the pup grows up more.

It sounds like he is attempting to play with and engage you, in the only way he knows how - as if you were another dog. (Think of the neck-grabbing which labs often do to each other in play.) If you have found a time when this behaviour is likely to happen (ie just coming out the crate for example), then another thing to put into place, is getting him to 'do' something else at this moment so you fill the space where that unwanted behaviour currently is. So, asking for a Sit when he comes out the crate, reinforcing that - or a hand touch target - reinforcing that with the treat rolled across the floor towards the door - which you then go out of to get a toileting outside happening...

And then there's just making sure you have lots of tug toys lying around, so you can grab one of those and redirect that bitey mouth onto a toy instead of the back of your legs... pretty soon he will be bringing you a toy to play with!

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  7. RuthElizabeth

Thanks everyone. I've been trying to take myself out of sight today and yesterday, and although he's still doing it it's lessening. We even had a playtime yesterday with no biting at all (miraculous)! Discovered he can often be distracted by a game of tug or an antler to chew, so that's useful.

I have been wearing leggings to try and minimise interesting flapping material but obviously puppy teeth go straight through them, so I'll move to jeans for a while. I have a collagen disorder which means cuts/grazes heal weird - I'm going to have an interesting selection of scars on my knees and arms by the time he grows up!

Jo Laurens likes this.
  8. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

On a related note, Chewie has started doing this again when he wants to play at 6 months. He mouths my legs, mostly very gently. Sometimes he just headbutts my legs, the little weirdo. I ignore him and then, during a pause I engage him, often asking for a sit and then playing with him. Is there anything I should/should not be doing?

9. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Pretty much the same advice I gave Ruth above...