Biting the lead

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sarah B, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Sarah B

Sarah B Registered Users

My husband is getting a bit frustrated with Loki as recently when he's about to take him out for a walk and put his lead on Loki is jumping up and biting the lead. Husband then took lead off went back inside and waited a few seconds to try again but the same and then eventually with him jumping up and trying to bite him. He eventually just left him outside and said he'll try again in 5 minutes.
    I didn't know if that's the best thing to do really as wasn't sure if Loki would understand that so just here for a bit of advise on what best to do please
    The same will happen when he's putting his lead back on after he's been off it for a while on a walk in the woods

Thank you

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco used to do this - at 16 months old. With the jumping up - this was before I even got the lead out - I turned my back on him and stood still, waiting for him to stop jumping up. Sometimes I would move away if he was biting at my clothes.
    With the lead biting, along with training "leave" separately, I would drop the end of the lead and say "leave", then try again. Eventually we would get out without him having the lead in his mouth. OH, on the other hand, would say "We don't play with leads now do we Coco?" and drop it, this also seemed to work ! ?! Dogs!

He didn't do it when out, but perhaps a similar approach - drop the lead but stand on it to stop him running around?

I'm shuddering to remember how bad getting ready to go for a walk...he'd pull the lead off the hook before I even got as far as picking it up. He broke the hook off the wall. There was a lot of tears with him jumping all over me.

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

They are just so strong and so excitable. It's hard to stay calm

4. camo

camo Registered Users

Bear went through this phase, I tried the suggestions above, I ended up resorting to treating him for sitting, eventually the routine became oh we are going for a walk, that means I sit and get a treat, then I get a treat when I stay and get the lead on. I guess it's the same principle, I never really taught him to not grab the lead, I just made him forget grabbing the lead as part of the routine.

At 8 1/2 months he is by no means perfect, but for the most part he sits and waits for his lead to go on.

DebzC likes this.
  5. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

I've done the same as camo...taught Libby she must sit and stay to have her lead on. She used to be awful but now sits beautifully, head up looking at me for the next instruction or treat. Any movement and the lead gets put away. She does carry the end of it in her mouth to the gate but drops it because I won't open the gate until she does so. I expect it's fluke rather than masterful training to be honest!!