Biting?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lisa4, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Lisa4

Lisa4 Registered Users

Jax is always nibbling on us but giving him a toy normally works. However this last couple of days he's turned into jaws lol. He's growling, barking and jumping and biting really hard and no toys are working.
    I've told the kids to just stay still (as 2 of them had been trying to get away from him) and I'll sort him but it's a bit hard for them when Jax is really biting them. So once ive kinda got control with Jax I'll make him sit and tell him no then shut the kitchen door for 10 seconds but it's not really working.

Normally I get him to the bottom of the stairs, he sits and I pick him up to take him upstairs but the last couple of days he's been growling and barking and really trying to bite us and going into his bed downstairs. He's spent most of today downstairs.

Is this just a phase or am I doing something wrong? Thank you

2. Emma

Emma Registered Users

Re: Biting?

We have this with Charlie sometimes but it is usually because the children are playing with each other and their noise gets him exited and unable to control himself. I usually ask them to play in their bedrooms to give him a chance to 'switch' himself off. If they need to be downstairs to eat tea or do homework etc then I crate him with a kong for 10-15 minutes. I think that helps him to learn to calm down and often it is when he has been awake for a while and I think he's over tired as usually when I open the crate again he is fast asleep.

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Biting?

Lisa,i missed this stage as Dexter was older when he came to us,we just got the tail end of a bit of nibbling if he was overexcited by my niece and nephew....we were always with them but we did tell them not to run ,to fold their arms ,turn their back and stand still like a tree.Sophie who is 3 couldn't get the not running away bit so we we just had to police them until Dexter stopped.he also had periods behind his gate where he can see us but they could all get a bit of time out from each other.
    From everything I've read of other people living through this stage,the children seem to get the worse of the puppy biting ,whilst it's not nice it does pass though x