Biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, May 26, 2014.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I realize this is not a NEW !!....we have all written in on biting....but have a suggestion that I just started using yesterday and it has worked for the last 24 hours:
    A spray water bottle. Every time Cooper comes at me to bite, or is biting my pant leg, or goes for my hands, I give him a little spray from the bottle. It sort of shocks him and stops him in his tracks. It has now worked since yesterday morning to this morning....so only 24 hours. But it seems much better than him dragging his leash around all day so I can have control over him and, frankly, the spray of water seems to be less awful than having the leash on indoors. Just a thought.....he may catch on in a bit and continue with his biting but it's worth a shot!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Biting

Hi Yvonne, a similar approach worked for me, I must admit.
    When using a spray in this way it is called an aversive.
    Some people think this is the wrong approach completely, just the "thin and of the wedge", but others successfully use mild aversives in their training.
    Generally Pippa likes to promote positive training methods and you might like to read her article here which discusses different training methods.
    My trainer advised on mild aversives, so that is what I used, but a second time round I would think very hard about it.
    Its always a relief when you find something that works though :)

Edited to fix the link

3. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Jacqui the link didn't work.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I used the 'ouch' squeal and all play stops approach. It worked within a few days.

If I spray Tatze with water she sees it as a signal to play, she loves water.

:)

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=6244.msg82146#msg82146 date=1401124031]
    Jacqui the link didn't work.
    [/quote]

Oops! - sorry about that - I usually check with my preview but I must have been so eager to get on with my housework this morning.
    The link I had intended was this one which was different I think to the one Julie kindly added.
    I have edited the original link to fix it too.

7. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I wish the "ouch" worked for me....but NO. Nor does "freezing" work. Nor does stop playing work. Giving chew toys...NO....even putting into crate for a few minutes to cool him down....To me spraying of a little water seems the nicest way to stop the biting. He still comes at me and, sometimes all I have to do is show him the spray bottle and he backs away....other times he laps up the water that I spray on him! You just can't win!!! Guess we have to wait this phase out.....Wish I could cuddle without him trying to bite my face!!! but that will have to wait a while, I guess.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Yvonne link=topic=6244.msg82240#msg82240 date=1401132563]
    sometimes all I have to do is show him the spray bottle and he backs away....
    [/quote]

I am a self declared "one of those wimpy positive only people". :). I can't say though, that I think such a young puppy being scared of anything is a good thing.

I went to work in long sleeves for weeks, because my arms were full of bite marks! I'm glad I did. My boy now has fantastic bite inhibition (and isn't scared of spray water bottles).

Lots of people will think I'm nuts, and you are right though! :)

9. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Yvonne, don't be despondent. My Molly was a nasty little biting machine until about 5 months of age. I didn't dare go near her because she munched on me. I tried the ouch, the turn the back etc all to no avail. I didn't like my dog, she clearly didn't like me. What in God's name had I let myself in for

Now, three months later, although we still have issues because she is just a puppy, the munching has stopped. I take great pleasure I stroking her and fondling her ears. I would trust her mouth absolutely. Pity she bounces and jumps up for Britain.

Whilst I'm not abdicating my responsibilities, I do believe that many of the problems that have us Lab owners tearing our hair out over are cured by maturity.

10. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Thank you....Cooper will be three months tomorrow....so only have to wait another couple of months! Seriously, at least there is a beginning and an end...thank goodness. Also, thanks for sharing "that you didn't like your puppy" because that's the way I feel sometimes. I also have felt that he does not like me, either, or else why would he leave me with scars and black and blue bruises.....and keep biting me! But, knowing there is an end gives me hope. Again, THANKS.

11. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

It's hard not to take the biting personally, I know. But we really have to keep in mind that all this biting and jumping, etc is the pup's way of playing. So it's not that they DON'T like you, on the contrary, they REALLY do!! :D

There are plenty of forum members in the "bruised and bleeding" pack, so don't despair, you are certainly not alone!! :)

12. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Just adding my voice to the 'this WILL pass' message. With us it was quite sudden - in the course of a couple of days he just stopped the bitey bitey bitey stuff completely.

And I think we all go through the 'OMG what have I done' phase too. We were lucky - Pongo settled down into 'grown-up' behaviour quite fast - but while he was doing the chew-everything and bite-everyone-especially-mummy games I really wondered whether we'd done the right thing.

Now our biggest challenge is waking him up.... (!)

13. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Just to say, that yes, the horrible biting, scratching, lunging, time will stop!

Maisie is now 12 weeks, and in the last week there has been a massive decrease in all of that :) I can now come down stairs in the morning and not get "attacked"! Only time now for biting seems to be when getting too revved up playing or she is tired. I just use the "ouch" approach and turn away and she hates that! I had quite a few weeks of "oh my God what have I done" and really didn't like her too much - except when she was asleep having lovely puppy cuddles ::)! Hang in there!

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Also, the biting stage occurs when they are still small enough to pick up. I used to sweep Tatze up and shove a chew or a toy in her mouth :)