Biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by star.lily, Feb 21, 2015.

1. star.lily

star.lily Registered Users

Luke is 10 weeks old now and his biting is getting worse and worse. I've read in the forums about the crocodog and articles saying that it's totally normal which is reassuring but I just want to make sure what I'm doing isn't what's making it worse. I've received advice to hold his lips down so he's biting himself so it's uncomfortable or shove a toy in his mouth, say "no" sternly. He jumps up and snips at me or if I'm on the couch comes up, puts his paws on my knees and aims for my hands. If he can't get those he bites my knees. I pull him away and do the above but it seems to get him riled up even more and he comes back more aggressively. More recently he started clamping down and growling. I know biting/chewing is normal but is it also normal that he seems to get more and more fierce about it? Am I doing something wrong?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Biting

[quote author=star.lily link=topic=9967.msg144960#msg144960 date=1424521907]
    I just want to make sure what I'm doing isn't what's making it worse. I've received advice to hold his lips down so he's biting himself so it's uncomfortable or shove a toy in his mouth, say "no" sternly.
    [/quote]

If this is what you are doing, yes you are doing it wrong - it's terrible advice. He is a baby, exploring the world with his mouth, and such responses, to hurt him or intimidate him, are very inappropriate and will be making the situation much worse.

The right advice is here:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppies-biting/
    http://www.thelabradorsite.com/how-to-cope-with-an-overexcited-labrador-puppy/

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm not sure where you found such advice star.lily - but it's total nonsense!

Read the articles JulieT has linked to above and, in future, only ever be gentle with your puppy.

Giving him a toy or chew is a good idea, but there are plenty of other things you can do to teach him that humans are not for biting.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

And lot of people on the forum with young puppies can reassure you it really is totally normal, and while frustrating (and sometimes painful!) to live though, they do all grow out of it.

5. star.lily

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=9967.msg144962#msg144962 date=1424523541]
    Giving him a toy or chew is a good idea, but there are plenty of other things you can do to teach him that humans are not for biting.
    [/quote]

What are other things?

The puppy's family and some of my own friends with dogs are who advised me to try those. I feel pretty terribly now.

6. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I would second everything Julie and Boogie say. It does seem incredible that a breed so famous for it's gentleness and good nature should be so downright nasty when little. It is actually an important process where they learn bite inhibition.

My hands were a network of scabs when Molly was little, I despaired of her then one day when she was around 4 months I realised that I was stroking her ear and NOT GETTING BITTEN.

Today, at 16 months I would trust Mollly's mouth anywhere. From time to time I have my hand right inside those massive chompers and I always emerge unscarred.

7. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Its difficult when you get conflicting advice and that will always happen. I do agree however the advice you have been given is not helpful. I am not sure why you would want to make a pup hurt himself. Most of us have been through and survived this stage and we do empathise as it is a challenge. The articles Julie has linked for you give a sensible approach. Each dog will be different but with my crocopup distraction worked really well. I always ensured she had something to keep her mouth busy if she got very bity and giddy. We went through endless cardboard boxes, plastic milk bottles, kongs with a smear of yogurt or soft cheese. It did pass quickly. I have 2 small boys and we all came out of this phase with a great relationship. Don't feel bad, there will be plenty more conflicting bumps along the way but also heaps of fun. Have you got a picture of Luke ? Emma and Meg (age just 1).

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=star.lily link=topic=9967.msg144964#msg144964 date=1424524902]
    The puppy's family and some of my own friends with dogs are who advised me to try those. I feel pretty terribly now.
    [/quote]

We've all made mistakes and done things that we later find out weren't right - just have a read through the articles on biting, and the main website will tell you all you need to know. And Pippa's book, the Happy Puppy Handbook, would be a great help to you.

Ideas about punishing dogs - hurting them in any way, or intimidating them - are completely out dated, but sadly lots of people still do these things. If you remember that, and reject any advice that involves any of these things, you won't go far wrong.

9. hitecd

hitecd Registered Users

I know exactly how you feel. My daughter has a 13 week old and I have scars and scabs on my arms. I have owned 3 labs (my current female is 10) and they all went through this and it does pass. However, just like you it is very frustrating and my daughter is at her witts end.

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

It does pass and I cannot remember it happening now ;D

11. star.lily

Thank you everyone for the advice! I try to give him other things to distract and chew but he seems to enjoy my hand or whatever I'm wearing better. I can already see that as long as I keep doing it and stay very calm, I don't add to his excitement though so I really appreciate the help.

I'm trying to post a picture of him. Hopefully it works. He's seriously the most handsome puppy I've ever seen. I say that with unabashed bias. ;D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf9xtxmhc5i2pwv/IMG_3396.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnhehxoq2fnjzs3/IMG_3400.JPG?dl=0

12. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

Oooh what a little love bug. Yes, your hands are much more exciting at first, but they soon figure it out. Maisie likes chewing on hands still at 19 weeks (I think it's mostly due to teething at the moment, though) but she knows now to get a toy and bring it onto my lap and chomp the toy rather than me.

Some things that helped
    - say "ouch" and ignore for a bit after a too hard bite
    - teach a "gentle" command for taking treats (offer treat in closed hand, don't open hand to give treat until you only feel lips/tongue, no teeth - helps teach them how to use their mouths softly)
    - not yanking my hand away when it was being chomped on. I did that at first, but I find leaving it there and even offering it to Maisie, she will think wait… hmm… maybe I don't bite the hand.

13. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I had similar advice but couldn't bring myself to do it (the lip on teeth thing). Everyone has said what to do before me and I can't add to it really. Empty large soft drink bottles (without lids) and cardboard boxes are still a favourite of my pup - she's 10 months old, nearly. No biting anymore.

14. Joy

Joy Registered Users

He's a real cutie! Hang on in there, he'll be past this stage before you know it. :)

15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He's a beauty :)

My two were total croca-pups, but they soon learn - meanwhile, the links JulieT put up really will help.

I felt like wearing wellies in the house some days!

16. Bonnie

Bonnie Registered Users

Oh how gorgeous is your little pooch! :D

Hang on in there star.lily, you may have seen my post elsewhere pleading for similar help! The advice given here and in the articles on the site is brilliant - add a drop of persistence and a few times out, and you will get there. ;)

I've had lots of conflicting advice from friends and family - don't know how many times I've been told I'm too soft with Bonny and have been guided in the direction of the rolled up newspaper (as if!) ... like my mum said to me the other day, "it's like having kids, everyone wants to give you advice, whether you want it or not!" ::)

Pippa has got it spot on and I really love the guidance you get on this site.... anything that might make your pup wary or frightened of you can't be a good thing. Who wants a dog who's frightened of humans?

For us, persistence and patience has been the secret, together with the belief, (from the assurances of others on this site), that it will get better! 8)

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

What a cutie :)

18. LoraChu

LoraChu Registered Users

We call Alfie the Alfiegator, his biting has been absolutely terrible! We got him at 9 weeks and it certainly did seem like it was getting worse! He's 14 weeks now, and honestly it is so, so much better.
    What we tended to do was gently push him down and say no, and replace our hand with a toy he could chew.
    This usually worked, but when it didn't we'd simply warn him "Mummy is going to get up.." And if he did it again, we'd stand up from where we'd been sitting, or walk away from it.

He went through, and still goes through spells where he just seems to go crazy. Rocketing about the place, snapping, growling. Generally it seems like play fighting, but of course snapping at hands and feet and trying to hang off clothing is no good. When he does this we make sure he stays in one room, dim the lights and remove ourselves from him for five minutes. That's usually enough to bring him down from the absolute manic. And honestly now a days if he does that, I tend to take him out for an extra quick walk. It makes his little excited brain focus on something else.

He's nibbling now, rather than biting usually, but obviously we're still working on it.

It's certainly a tough time to get through though! The crocodog stage..

19. astyers

astyers Registered Users

Mine also was a crocodile! I even thought I might have needed stitches after one bite! It does get better though. I used to say "ouch" really loud and stop play. That seemed to help. Good luck, it will be over before you know it! :)

20. Jo Parker

Jo Parker Registered Users

Hi
    Phoebe is now 5 and half months and I can't believe I am able to respond to this saying "it will get better, just give it time"!! That is what everybody said to me a few months ago when I came on here to discuss her biting and I just didn't believe it would ever stop and even started to question whether I had an 'aggressive' puppy!!! Phoebe hardly ever bites now and when she does she stops as soon as you say "no biting". When things were bad we tried everything and to be absolutely honest nothing really worked. Saying 'ouch' / yelping like a dog did nothing. Turning your back and removing attention was impossible as she just bit you from behind!!! The only thing that helped was leaving the room for 10 seconds or removing her from the room for 10 seconds - it just gives you the opportunity to breathe / calm down and break the cycle. In the end for us I think she just grew out of it rather than us solving it, but the important thing is it did get better, so hang in there!!!