black lab puppie "problems"

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Saw1947, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Saw1947

Saw1947 Registered Users

Adopted 5 month black lab from our local SPCA along with a 4.5 month old lab and Shepard mix. The 5 month old is Katie and the younger is Bella I hoped together Katie would slowly get over her fears. She is fearful of everything but the biggest problem is her fear of my husband bill is a kind gentle man. He talks kindly to her tries to feed her treats and walks. her her tail lives between her legs. We try to have bill walk her but it is a dragging out of house and she just doesn't trust him. She got to the point where she tolerated him even start barking and wagging her tail. Three weeks with a small gleam of lite and bam she went on to be fixed and when she came home we were back to square one. Any advice I don't want to do anything to make it worst. If we just leave it alone will she find trust on her own?

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

The answer to your question is, maybe. But the good news is that there are things you can do to help her along. How long ago was the spay? Is she completely recovered from that? I wouldn't expect too much out of her if she is hasn't quite got over that yet.

Dogs often fear males - they are bigger, have lower, more growly voices...add to that some unknown factors in Katie's past which you have no idea about and you have a pup with some issues to overcome. The first thing I would say is to have patience with your pup. It may take some time for her to overcome her fears, and to settle completely in your house. Don't worry if she isn't comfortable with everything right away, as time goes on and she experiences a safe, loving environment she will start to come around.
    You are on the right track with having your hubby interact with her with the good things in her life like food and walks, but don't force her. Make every interaction with her a happy one. If she is happy when he is ten feet away, then keep him ten feet away and have him toss her treats. If she tolerates that fine for a couple days, then have him move a couple feet closer and watch her closely. If she shows signs of fear, have him step back until she begins looking more comfortable and repeat. Don't overdo these sessions, keep them short and happy.
    I wouldn't have him drag her out of the house for a walk. Maybe he could walk with you while you walk her? But only if she is happy with that. Your goal is to make her house a place where she doesn't need to fear that she will be forced into anything uncomfortable in terms of what she does or what is expected of her.

How is she with the other dog? You've got a lot on your hands there with two rescue dogs, I applaud you for taking them on!

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Some great advice from Lisa on allowing your girl to slowly gain confidence with your husband. I know it may sound strange but can he put on a happy bright voice when he speaks to her as that might also help. men with deep, growly voices can be a bit scary for puppies.

4. Saw1947

Saw1947 Registered Users

Thanks I feel a lot better. I really believed we could make a different in Katie's life. She is improving a little she is starting to let him lease her if I am not home. Someone mentioned that when we talk to Bill we yell because he is very hard of hearing we are trying to speak softer and use hand signs. It seems to be working a little. One quick question the new behavior barking when bill walks in the room should I be concern? Is there any action I should take? She has never nipped or even act like she might

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place for support and advice.

I would say - just give it time. Don't rush things; take them at Katie's speed. With kindness and patience you will get there.

With regard to the barking - I think I would completely ignore it. You and your husband definitely shouldn't give her any eye contact when she does bark - in other words don't reward her for it! Good luck and keep us posted.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It will take time but it will happen.

Never drag her anywhere, if she's afraid then making her do something will add to the fear. Take your time, let her go as near to him as she's comfortable and slowly build on her trust.

Let him do all the feeding for now - a sure route to her heart!

:)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello from me too. I can't think of anything particular right now that might help, I don't have any experience of rescue.
    My only thought was that if you are using a collar and lead for walks, a harness might make it easier. There are some dogs on the forum that just don't tolerate harnesses, but if Katie has issues with walking it might be worth a try.
    I guess IF she will take a treat from Bill, it might be worth considering working towards hand feeding to build a relationship, but I am not at all sure if she will see this as a threat.
    I admire you supporting rescue and giving these two a home. Wishing you lots of luck and patience.
    jac