Blood in poo

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by blackandwhitedog, Sep 29, 2017.

1. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Jess's poo at lunchtime was mucusy and a bit pink, then she passed a little squirty bit that was quite red - presumably blood? For the past 3 days I have been feeding her one raw meal a day, using Nature's Menu complete nuggets (the offal one). Her other meal has been Royal Canin GI food as she's been refusing to eat her kibble and we thought we would try to transition to a raw diet (using the nature's menu complete food).

I know diet changes can upset their digestion but am not sure what to do. She seems fine otherwise so I thought I would just keep an eye on it, and take her to the vet tomorrow if it doesn't get better. Does that sound right?

2. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I find if Harley has a funny tummy she will sometimes pass a bit of blood through straining. My vet said as long as it's not a dark red/black colour it's nothing to worry about. Hope this helps.

Snowy likes this.
  3. blackandwhitedog

Thank you, that helps a lot. I'm now not sure whether to continue with trying to transition to raw food or to abandon it altogether. She is such a picky/tricky eater and we have her on a kibble that agrees with her stomach but she's been leaving it untouched and my OH is keen to try an alternative. It's difficult to know what's best.

4. Naya

We transitioned to Natures menu for breakfast and kibble for tea. It took us a few weeks before Harleys tummy settled but now she eagerly awaits both meals. She used to hate kibble and we had lots of tummy problems, but perseverance paid off for us. Might be worth giving another week or so the reasses?

5. blackandwhitedog

That's reassuring, thanks. :) I might keep going with it for a little longer then as she is actually eating the nature's menu food, which is a good start. Can I ask why you kept one kibble meal rather than moving to a full raw diet?

6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

It could be that you've tried to introduce the new food too quickly. The advice I've always received from vets is to introduce a new food over at least a week. Day 1 and 2 use 25% new and 75% old, Days 3 and 4 use 50/50 and Days 5 and 6 use 75% new and 25% old, Day 7 100% new. I've never had a problem switching foods based upon this method. For a dog with a sensitive tummy it's better to take longer for any transition to a new food.

If in any doubt consult the vet. Advice given by a vet to one person isn't necessarily applicable to someone else.

edzbird likes this.
  7. Snowy

Snowy Supporting Member Forum Supporter

20170929_150256 (Copy).jpg

Thanks, good to know. Nelson had a tiny bit of bright red mucus in his poo yesterday. The following two poos have been just fine but we'll keep an eye on things.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2017
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Hey Snowy, I put your picture in a spoiler so people don't see it unless they click on it!

Snowy likes this.
  9. Snowy

Snowy Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks SnowBunny :)

I did wonder if it was "polite" to post it, but then I convinced myself that anyone clicking on a "poo" thread might be semi-prepared. But I think a second layer of "do you really want to see poo" is a great idea :)

Me? I'm rather proud of his stools, always makes me strangely happy when he delivers one. :D

10. Naya

I didn't go to full raw due to personal choice. It's easier that she eats some kibble so when we are away with her we know we can take just kibble ad she will be ok on it. She has such a sensitive tummy that if we suddenly change from raw to kibble she would struggle. Plus I use a lot of her kibble allowance for training.

11. blackandwhitedog

@Snowy, glad Snowy is feeling better. I actually appreciated seeing a photo - it was a useful comparison! I wished I'd thought of doing the same!

I've done this when we changed kibble brands, but the advice I read on raw food said to move to one meal per day because the raw/kibble digest at different speeds so shouldn't be mixed. But I did worry that it would be too abrupt.... Perhaps to introduce the raw food slowly I should just give her a small meal first and then gradually build it up? @Naya, how did you introduce it? Also, did you start with a single type of meat or go straight into mixing beef/lamb/chicken? I'm not sure how we should manage this as Jess used to not tolerate meat very well - which is why we moved her onto a fish diet - but she seems to be ok with meat scraps and treats now.

This is something we've been wondering about. It's really interesting to hear that Harley is keener on her kibble now as well. It would be good if Jess went the same way.

Anyway, Jess seems fine today and poos today were much better than yesterday. Our vet is closed today but I'm going to take her in next week to discuss this and a couple of other minor things.

Naya likes this.
  12. snowbunny

I've read this many times and I can't find any corroborating evidence. We eat all sorts of things in a single meal and they digest at different rates. No-one suggests we should eat all our protein at one meal and all our carbs at another. Or maybe they do and I'm just behind the times? :D

13. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

If in doubt I would always consult my vet particularly if there is a history of gastric problems.

14. blackandwhitedog

I know, I've wondered about this too. I've only seen it said in relation to raw food /kibble (and not e.g. kibble and wet food) but it's said so consistently that I assumed there must be some science/physiology behind it. Maybe not though? The rationale can't simply be mixing carbs & protein because the complete raw food comes with veg too. Agreed that it doesn't seem logical.

15. Naya

I changed slowly. I stuck to one meat for a few weeks before adding another. Day 1 for her 'raw' meal, she had some chunks of chicken with her her (about 10%). Day 2 she had 25% chicken with the rest kibble. Day 3 50/50 - we stuck to this for 3 days (she had chicken leg with bone so first meal with bone). Day 6 she had 75% raw, day 7 she had 80% raw, day 8 we went to 100% raw.
    Ive always mixed raw and kibble and it's the best her tummy has ever been.

16. snowbunny

A quick search brought up this study-of-one, that is an interesting read nonetheless: https://therawfeedingcommunity.com/...s-kibble-may-actually-digest-faster-than-raw/