bones and puppies

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by sophmiller, Oct 19, 2014.

1. sophmiller

sophmiller Registered Users

Do you give your puppies bones? (real ones from dead animals) raw from the butcher? If so what age did you start and what kind?
    Chicken carcass?
    Thighs?
    Bits of cow tail?
    What is best? Of course the vet advised against it and then tried to sell me kibble, but as I understand it bones are a natural food for dogs and have lots of good stuff in them for puppies?
    (I'm forever feeding the kids bone broth and the like so I guess it's just the dog version!)
    Thx :)

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: bones and puppies

I don't,I'm a bit scared to be honest but that is just me,I've been encouraged to do it but I'm a scaredy cat.Other members feed bones successfully,I'm just not sure if they are appropriate for puppies...someone will be along to help soon I'm sure x

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Willow had her first chicken wing, whole, about a week ago, so around nine weeks. I wouldn't hesitate to give her a carcass, either. I have chopped a whole rabbit into a load of meal-sized portions for her, too, and she'll have her first taste of that some time this week. Just avoid bigger bones for now and mammals' weight-bearing bones forever as they can damage their teeth.

4. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Cupar has been fed raw since we got him at around 7 weeks old. The food the "breeder" fed was wag.
    So he was put on to raw immediately.

First I have been feeding adult labradors for three years, it was my first time with a pup. So I was a wee bit
    worried at first, but after asking questions and researching all over again, my confidence has returned.

So to your question.

Yes you can feed a pup bones. As snowbunny said no weight bearing bones, you know like big marrow bones. These bones damage there teeth.

Cupar is totally raw, but if your just looking to give as a treat I would stick to the chicken wings and thighs.
    Just remember this all adds to the food intake and I haven't met a labrador that doesn't like his food.

If you are worried about choking when your pup is small , put the chicken wing or thigh in a bag and give it a battering.