Bones for puppies

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by boogs83, May 22, 2016.

1. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

Trying to find things to keep Albie occupied is certainly a challenge to say the least! But what sort of bones do you all give young dogs? Albie currently only has small raw Hyde bones as haven't been brave enough to give him anything else yet.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Do you mean raw bones?
    Chicken wings seem to be favourites.
    Always watch your puppy though. And don't be surprised if it comes back up and gets re eaten

3. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

Just bones to chew on to keep them occupied and to chew on

4. Calbury

Calbury Registered Users

I gave my pup Nugget a raw beef rib at 19 weeks. He loved it, but either the bone (or a pizzle I gave the day before) really upset his tummy. So be aware that you might be dealing with a runny tummy afterwards.

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It can take young tummies a bit to get used to a new food like raw bones, so don't be alarmed by any side effects, as the others have said! I'd probably start with something pretty soft, like a piece of chicken, duck or turkey. A chicken/duck wing or leg or a turkey wing would be fine.

Avoid leg bones from mammals as these have a very hard outer surface that can break and wear down teeth. Any part of a bird or fish is fine and any non-leg parts of mammals are fine (so ribs, necks, tails - all are fine).

6. nicky

nicky Registered Users

Hi @Oberon - you say "Avoid leg bones from mammals as these have a very hard outer surface that can break and wear down teeth." I tend to give Luna raw marrowbone from Nature's Menu. Do you think these are too hard for her teeth? She also loves the lamb necks from here, although you say they are fine.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, I would avoid marrowbones (by that I think you mean cow leg bones). These bones are really hard as they are a structure designed to support the weight of a large animal. Some dogs will keep chewing and chewing at a bone like that and the result over time will be worn teeth, plus there's a risk of broken teeth too. I know dogs like them but it's really not worth it...

When I mentioned mammal leg bones I meant the larger mammals, like cows, sheep, goats, pigs.. Smaller mammals like rabbit are fine - you can feed any part of a rabbit :)

Lamb necks are totally fine as the bone in them is mainly an open-structured, spongy type of bone that isn't too hard. Try lengths of fresh oxtail for a good chew that your pup can get stuck into safely :) Basically just avoid the leg bones of cows, sheep, goats, deer and pigs - that's the rule of thumb I go by.

nicky likes this.