Bones

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Atemas, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

We have been giving our two labs - 10 year old Sky and 19 week old Red, kongs in the evening in our endeavours to get the two dogs together. They love this time. When we go camping in just over a month, we are going to struggle to prepare and freeze kongs. Can you recommend bones that would be appropriate for both dogs?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'd just carry on with kongs, to be honest. They don't need to be frozen. Stuff with raw mince, which is easier than soaking kibble :)

If your dogs aren't used to bones, they can cause upset tummies, and you really don't want to be dealing with that when you're camping! :rolleyes::eek:

3. MF

MF Registered Users

The advice given to me is to give non-weight bearing bones. Weight-bearing bones (legs) are very hard and a hard chewer can break a tooth. Better to give raw softer bones that can be eaten up like vertebrae or chicken carcasses. You'll need to ration them into their food rations. Snowie eats raw bones at both meals - they usually have a fair amount of meat on them. But I don't know how you take raw bones camping... they need to be frozen.

Recreational bones are usually weight bearing, so generally a no-no.

Snowie enjoys a hoof every now and then.

You can smear peanut butter into the kongs to keep them occupied.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

5. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I don't bother with freezing Kongs. I put in a small handful of kibble then mix in cream cheese, peanut butter, anything sticky.