Bored puppy needing attention

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by nicky, Jan 26, 2016.

1. nicky

nicky Registered Users

Hi all.

I have a lovely 13 week old puppy called Luna. We have definitely found this forum helpful over the last few weeks and glad that we are slowly getting through the biting stage!

I do have a question about Luna getting bored. I work from home which is great as I get to spend lots of time with her, however, I'm finding she doesn't really relax in the room where I work - this is a large room (living, dining room & kitchen - all open plan). She will sometimes just wander around the room whimpering. I then will show her to her crate (in the utility - the only other room she's allowed in), but she doesn't seem interested in sleeping.

I feel like I'm doing all the right things: frozen Kongs, rotating her toys, but nothing seems to keep her happy!

Perhaps this is just another phase of being a puppy?

Thanks!
    Nicky

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi and welcome . Its a quite difficult age , too young for long walks that can tire them out ;) Have you tried playing retrieving games with Luna ? Most Lab pups adore tennis balls , its a good exercise for indoors and gets them used to using their brains which is all good for tiring them out :) Doing some training will also form a bond between you both , so, into a sit , you throw , she fetches and returns to you , you ask her to drop and off you go again . Its simple but is training in a fun way and should give you a little peace :)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi and welcome to you and Luna! I second what Kate says, and would also suggest short training sessions at intervals through the day, just five minutes at a time, which is much more effective than a single longer session and that will also keep your pup physically and mentally stimulated. Another good game is 'search and find' - at first you show your pup a ball, and show her where you place it behind a piece of furniture, then let her get it using a cue such as 'fetch' or 'get it'. As time goes by you can make this more and more complicated, until she waits in another room while you hide several small treats (or toys) in areas around the house or the garden, and she then goes to search for these hidden treasures. Puppies love these games, and it is surprising how tired they get from using their little noses and brains!

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hello and welcome from Molly and me.

I would second everything that kate and Karen have said. In the better weather a handful of kibble tossed on the lawn is great fun. This usually finds favour with whoever cuts the lawn as this works best with slightly longer grass.

Many of these games serve a real purpose. While they are waiting to 'go find' their treat they are learning self control.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hello, and welcome to you!

When she has had all she needs - food, play, training etc - try deliberately and obviously turning your back on her and getting on with your work with a bit of a 'humph'. No attention at all for pupster. Eventually she will learn to amuse herself for a while - it won't be long at this age, but the time will grow. This is what my puppy supervisor suggested as Guide Dog pups have to learn to be 'bored yet with you' for part of the day quite young.

It does work!

:)

6. nicky

nicky Registered Users

Hi all. Just as an update and to see if you all have any further advice :)

Luna is in a bit more a routine now, but I'm now worried she's in her crate too much. She's in there for about 7 hours during the day. When she's out, she has a great time with training, walks and games, but I just feel that 7 hours is a bit much. The create we have for her is in a separate room from where I work which may be why I'm feeling quite guilty.

She's still not settling that well in our living area either unless she has some long lasting food. Is that usual for a 4 month old?

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Nicky