Born by C-Section...should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Scout88, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Scout88

Scout88 Registered Users

Hi we have been contacted by the breeder who we have formed good links with over the past few months and have found out that the pups had to be delivered via c-section rather than naturally. We have researched and carefully selected this breeder and the parents are both healthy. Mum has given birth naturally twice before, although is now approaching her 6th birthday and this litter was much larger than she is used to. She went to 9.5 weeks pregnancy and the vet had to help her along as apparently the pups wouldn't come naturally.
    Should we be concerned about buying a pup if they were born via c-section? What questions should we be asking?
    We've hardly heard of this happening so really didn't expect it at all.

2. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Hi, I dont have immediate experience of this, but know the following.

My good friend at work bred her GR bitch (lots of research into the sire as she was only planning on having one litter. )
    When she went into labour, they suspected she was struggling a bit and was taken to the local vets. They ended up performing a C section, and 8 out of 9 pups survived.
    She ended up keeping 2 ,who I can vouch for are in absolute perfect health at age 4, and she is still in touch, and regularly sees 4 out of the remainder of the litter.

There may be questions you should ask, others can advise, but don't let this be an immediate barrier to you.

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

As long as the pups were with mum during her recovery and able to feed and there were no further problems post op I wouldn't be overly concerned. C sections are not unusual, a rather brutal start to life for the pups but much better than the other option. If you are worried you could always have a chat to the vet you will be using for the pup

4. Scout88

Scout88 Registered Users

Thank you - this is really reassuring.
    We just hadn't even considered the possibility so didn't know if we should be worried.

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

My oldest dog was born via c section and had no health issues from this. I spoke to my vet and was reassured. She had done the c section and told me he was fine.he lived until he was 14 1/2. I would speak to your breeder and vet.

6. Emily

Emily Registered Users

My girl was born via emergency c section (one puppy got stuck on the way out and unfortunately didn't survive). Pups were with mum straight afterwards and were able to feed and bond with mum as normal. I don't believe there were any adverse affects.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It wouldn't put me off getting one of these pups. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'm sure the pups will be fine :)

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

There are always a small percentage of pups born by c section, just like human babies the pups are fine.

:)

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Friends of mine had a C-section Lab. A real bruiser, absolutely wonderful dog. No health or behavioural issues at all. Except for the time he ate an entire frozen turkey, but, y'know.... :cwl:

10. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Finn is born via C-section. He or one of his brothers (2) was stuck. They all survived! His mother went ill after the c-section. They put a harness on her for she wasn't allowed to feed the pups. Then she rejected the pups and they were hand fed.
    Finn has some behavioral problems, but is still a wonderful dog without health issues. His brother though has problems with ED and cancer. I can't say this is related to the way they have been born.
    We knew he was born with c-section, for us no problem. If we would buy another lab hand raised is a different question and the answer would be no.....

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I don't think you should expect any problems related to the birth for the puppies; as long as they were with the mother immediately afterwards. Bitches who have had more than one C-section shouldn't be bred from again though (and if I had a bitch that I was going to breed from, I wouldn't breed from her again after the first C-section).

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I was born by C section snd I think I am perfectly normal and well adjusted :)

13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

:clap:

Beanwood and Stacia like this.
  14. Scout88

Scout88 Registered Users

Thank you. This is really reassuring :) xx