Brady's new trick is not fun

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by PFSchles, May 11, 2017.

1. PFSchles

PFSchles Registered Users

Hello
    Brady, now 10 months old, is quite sweet and generally well-behaved for a puppy!
    Now that it's spring and he's discovered the joys of water and water play, he has discovered water play in the house. He loves to knock over his water bowl. Just goes up, drinks a bit, and then puts either steps on the edge or tips it with his nose. We tried a weighted bowl; he moved it and then tipped it. I just found our old elevated bowl and will try that next. Will also try a rimless bowl if necessary. I want to leave water out for him but don't enjoy the endless puddles in the house.
    Any advice would be welcome...
    We have a baby pool outside for him that we plan to use as a play thing.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@PFSchles You could try a cast iron crock pot, too heavy for a dog to move and Brandy needs access to water at all times so maybe this will help :) x

3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I use Mason Cash water bowls - have 2 so both dogs always have access to water - they are heavy.

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I put my dogs' drinking bowl inside a washing up bowl, so any water spilled goes into the washing up bowl!

Oberon, Plum's mum and charlie like this.
  5. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

That's a fab idea, I'm borrowing that one!

6. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We still have a couple of the bowls that have a skirt on the outside that slopes out. It makes them hard to tip or pickup. We don't really need them with Tilly and Cooper as far as picking up or tipping the bowl, but both of them can splash water around some times. It is common for puppies to water paddle and make quite a mess.

We have a very large (18" dia.) water bowl in the back yard. It is mostly rainwater in the winter, but in the summer we keep it full from the hose. Cooper usually has to put one foot in and stand in it when she drinks.