Bramble's first shoot

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Beanwood, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Friday was the day, the culmination of a lot of hard work, however despite all the training, you never really know how it will all pan out on the day. The weather was kind, a cool, misty autumnal day. Perfect for our first day out.

The day didn't start off too well, much to SWMBO amusement I had not only lost my whistle but lost my voice! Normally I chatter away constantly, nope today all I could muster was the quietest of whispers.
    We all met in the training hut to discuss the day, bacon butties all round and coffee. I was feeling rather rough so shared my buttie with Bramble.

Then after being kitted out with radios (although wasn't much point in giving me a radio..) split into teams, we headed off down the fields. Bramble responded surprisingly well to my whispered cues, so I bravely let her off her lead. She walked beautifully next to me. When the pheasants started to fly, I popped her back on, reinforcing her for calmness. The last thing I wanted was her to run in. She was actually quite good, and I got the feeling she was soaking up the experience, her keen brown eyes unwavering honed on the guns, ignoring the other dogs completely.

It was soon time for her first retrieve. It wasn't our bird, but Bramble was sent in. With style, she nipped in, picked up the bird and brought it straight back, no hesitation. Good girl! It was fairly easy though, however, I was pleased she was happy to bring back warm game. By this time there had been a few shots, and she was starting to get excited, her body wound tight as a drum. Another retrieve, this time it was alive. Bramble shot out, and again, showed no hesitation with a flapping bird. Lovely delivery to hand and bird number 2 in the bag.

The other dogs were also doing well, all credit to SWMBO. These were young dogs too, most under 2 years old and their first shooting experience. We only had one spaniel in the team, but boy was she impressive! She worked her little socks off and by the end of the day was practically asleep on her paws!

The day ended with 6 lovely retrieves for Bramble, including one retrieve to our side and over some cover, I had no idea where it went, but Bramble just instinctively seemed to know where it had landed. So very pleased with her. The areas I need to work on are on lead, she got very "pully" towards the end of the day. I think she would have been better if she had hunted a bit. This is something we will probably get more involved in next time. It was interesting watching her figure things out, she loved the shooty men, and flirted terribly, that was nice to see, all nervousness of strangers replaced by joy at being out doing what she was meant to do.

Granca, Harley Quinn, Snowy and 12 others like this.
  2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

So pleased your day went very well, Bramble sounds as if she is a natural. I enjoyed reading your post.

3. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Excellent, well done to you and Bramble :)

4. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Supporting Member Forum Supporter

@Beanwood that was a lovely read thank you. Sounds like you had a good day and well done Bramble. Hope you have your voice back and you have found your whistle. I panic if I lose my clicker but things go to another level if I lose my whistle. :D

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Amazing job both of you, and wonderfully recounted. Did you take your GoPro? :)

6. SteffiS

SteffiS Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done Bramble, what a great reward for all your training :).

7. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done to you and Bramble x

8. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

That sounds like a great first day out, well done Bramble and excellent job you - truly the Dog Whisperer!

MF likes this.
  9. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Wow, fantastic!

10. MF

MF Registered Users

Wow - impressive!!!!!

11. David

David Moderator Forum Supporter

Loved reading that. Please do updates!

12. Beanwood

Of course, we have been invited to their local shoots, still quite small, just 100 birds and I think max 10 guns :)

Karen likes this.
  13. David

Sounds a bit like my shoot. We put down 800 pheasants and 50 partridges. 10 guns and 50 birds maximum day. Now if I could only get the dog to behave as above ........

:chuckle:

Beanwood and Karen like this.
  14. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Super read! Well done all! Bramble must been so pleased:)

15. Cath

Cath Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good girl :)

16. David

Have you been out again with Bramble? If so how did it go?

17. Beanwood

Ah! We have been invited to a local small shoot, myself and two people I train with. Suffice to say we are ALL a bit nervous! Report in due course @David :)

Karen likes this.
  18. David

Don't be nervous and have a super day. I reckon it's not a normal day if I haven't been shouted at by the keeper at least twice, by the way! :chuckle: