Brodick ate a CD....

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by debsie, Nov 28, 2013.

1. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Had a slightly fraught walk with young Master Brodick this morning. I am starting training him to quarter, and in the meantime he is allowed no free running. You can imagine how that went up in the hills, I had to take him and Cuillin out together as no time for separate walks before work, he wasn't taking Cuillin's freedom well. All I can say is thank goodness for front fastening harnesses. By the end of an hour in which we saw some full on barky tantrums from the young man, I had him walking in a relatively sane manner again. Anyway, hatches battoned down, basic lead manners around pheasant distraction training day one complete, and off home we went.

However, and this is where the CD comes in, a very lively and slightly wired young labrador arrives back at the house. I'm in the bath and I hear the sound of shredding, leap out of bath and go into lounge to find B shredding an envelope. Not impressed but not the end of the world. Then I heard the crunching, it was a random envelope that had been popped through the door complete with a CD, most of which was in Brodick's mouth being crunched. I pieced what was left together and found that around a third had been munched and swallowed...rather worried call to vet sister followed. Am now just waiting worriedly to see what happens, we are hoping it will pass through and out the other end but I hate thinking about those jaggy bits in his stomach...hey hoh, fingers crossed he is ok and doesnt need any vet interventions :(

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Re: Brodick ate a CD....

Someone on here (Rachel? I forget) suggested feeding a nice big piece of bread or two to "cushion" the passage through the gut after I thought Simba ate the blade from a pencil sharpener. Might want to give that a go. :) let us know how he's doing....

3. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Thanks Lisa. In mid panic this morning I thought I read that somewhere, it must have been here!! I gave him a couple of bits of bread which he thought was marvelous, so here's hoping its doing its job...

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh no! Hope he is ok... :eek:

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Many years ago when one of mine ate something with sharp edges , I was advised to feed her cotton wool soaked in oxo gravy , it sticks to the sharp bits and eases the passage , hoping he will be alright :)

6. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Hi, Really hope he is okay. You have me thinking of all the things Oatsy chews, I always presume he dosent ingest the stuff he has been chewing, but maybe I should be more careful , Maggiex

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

:eek: let's is know......blummin Labradors ;D x

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:eek:
    Gosh hope all is well!

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My previous Lab ate several jaggy things as a young boy - most notably a handful of toothpicks and also part of our vacuum cleaner. All the bits came through fine. Our vet said that sharp things are often less of a blockage risk (compared to round, lumpy things) as the intestine kind of shrinks away from the sharp edges, whereas with round, lumpy things it can constrict around them and stop their passage.

Hope you see the CD again soon.

10. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

Oh gosh I hope all goes 'through' ok.

I love to read all the things Labradors have eaten, they always look so pleased with themselves!!

Some of the things widgeon has eaten still surprise me,
    We had one of those tennis ball throwers, I left it sticking out of his toy box and obviously found it and thought it looked tasty?? So he ate it?? All that was left was about 8" of the handle!!

I spoke to the vet opposite and she said give him bread and a tin of cheap dog food to speed things up, the next day he passed a pooh full of blue plastic inc bits of the cup, you put the ball in, which were triangular, 3 pointed and bigger than a nacho, he never even winced when it came out!!

One morning he was squatting in the garden and making a few noises so I dashed out to see if he was ok and a lump of flint came out and hit the floor with a thump - my god it was huge! I'm glad I didn't see him eat it, I would have worried all day!!

The one consolation, when I bagged the evidence to show Cathy, it was lovely and warm on a cold morning!!!

It's amazing what they can process with no ill effects, I guess it was necessary in 'wolf' times

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh, yum… :eek:

12. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hope everything comes out ok ! ::)

How lucky are you having a sister whose a vet. I'd love that she wouldn't. ;) My sister is a chef which does have its perks.

Fingers crossed for Brodick.

Jen

13. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

I have a niece doing A-levels who wants to become a vet. I keep telling her to hurry up - can't wait to have a vet in the family!!!
    Clare

14. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Yes, Ots once crunched up a yogourt pot that came out okay. However today god knows what he got hold of to chew up, but he has been doing bright blue poos !!! He seems absolutely fine, so I think it was just a harmless dye off something. Maggiex

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

My favorite last year was some left over tinsel......wondered where it had gone ;D

16. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Slightly over thirty six hours post CD munch and he's right as rain! No vomiting, his poo had white bits in it this morning but he ate the envelope too so who knows...loved all the stories of dogs eating bad stuff :)

17. Oberon

Glad he's ok!! :D I bet the CD won't ever be quite the same though, wherever it is....

18. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Glad he's ok.....what cd was it by the way?
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For? U2 ;D x

19. Oberon

LMAO ;D

Or...."Don't Stop The Music", Rhianna.

20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Snicker...

Here's an ode to Brods and Simba and all of our food-loving labs, bless their greedy little hearts....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI

Just a little fun for a Saturday night.... ;D