Broken puppy tooth

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Matt Reynolds, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Matt Reynolds

Matt Reynolds Registered Users

Hey everyone, I have a 13 week old silver lab (Remi) & this morning he broke his lower left canine. He did this while playing with our other dog and it got caught in the others collar. He doesn’t seem like it is bothering him, he is still chewing on his toys and fetching but I’m still concerned of course. He has an appointment at the vet tomorrow for his booster shots, but I’m curious if anyone else has ran into this. Since it’s a puppy tooth won’t it just fall out in a few months and grow his adult canine in its place or am I wrong in saying this?

2. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi our pup broke the same tooth when she was 10 weeks,our vet was very surprised as he'd not seen this in a young pup before apparently.

It didn't cause her any problems and now at 7 months she has replaced it with her adult tooth.

3. Matt Reynolds

Okay well that’s good to know, thank you so much I was worried!

4. Mango

Mango Registered Users

Puppy teeth go out anyway. If it is not broken into the gum, and not bothering him, it will be fine.

P.S. congrats on the silver lab. That was my first choice, but they are impossible to get where I'm from.

5. Matt Reynolds

Thanks! He’s an awesome pup! Loves to fetch bumpers and swim! Also a very fast learner, I haven’t had one yet that’s picked up on as much as he has this fast! I looked for a silver for a while before I found him and I couldnt be happier with him! The place I bought him from actually ships them all over the U.S and I personally would refer them to anyone thats looking for a silver! Www.Charcoalandsilverlabs.com

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hope he goes on ok at the vets. Please let us know.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's really good that you have an appointment with a vet.

Puppy teeth have blood vessels and nerves (the pulp in the tooth). Broken puppy teeth cause pain - as the pulp dies, the cavity can become infected with all the gunk that puppies chew on. Infection can spread through to the surrounding tissue in the gum. This can cause endless problems, including with the adult teeth later.

So while a broken puppy tooth might not cause problems, there is quite a risk it might! So always get it checked out, and if left to fall out, be really sure the puppy isn't in pain, and monitor very carefully.

Also check whether the vet you go to is up on modern standards of dog teeth care....

Luna's mum likes this.