Buddy's Bad Behaviour (chasing cows)

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dr CEM, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Dr CEM

Dr CEM Registered Users

Yesterday Buddy behaved totally out of character and dived under a farm gate near our house, chasing a herd of cows, rolling in / eating cow pads and refusing to listen to my calls. As the gate had barbed wire on top, I couldn't get in. I'm so thankful that the farmer wasn't there as he was out of control and really frightening the cows. When he came out (of his own accord 20 mins later) I really shouted at him, took him home straight away and put him in his basket. He was very meek all night and today is back to his usual self/ displaying good recall etc. However, I still can't stop thinking about the incident..... Have you had anything similar happen?

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Buddy's Bad Behaviour (chasing cows)

How frightening for you Caroline, how did Buddy leave your property and is there anyway you could approach the farmer and ask him to put something across the bottom of the gate to prevent any future incidents? I am sure he would rather do that than have his cows chased and we all know what farmers can do if they see a dog chasing their
    livestock :'(

20 minutes is a long time for Buddy to chase livestock and he could do damage to the Cows. I wonder if something spooked Buddy, maybe something else was going on in the Cow field that you couldn't see? If it were me I would definitely be looking to prevent this happening again for Buddy's and the Cows safety. I hope you are OK today xx

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Yes, I have!!! Some time ago when Drift was younger, we went on to a common, took dogs out of the car on leads, walked a short way, looked left, right and ahead, all clear, let dogs off lead and.......... Drift got a herd of young cattle out from under a tree, they had been sheltering in bushes, completely hidden and chased them as far as the eye could see. I was frantic, expecting farmer with gun. Drift finally came back and I put them both in the car and drove off. Later, I came back with Drift on the lead, found some cows and every time he looked at one I fiercely said LEAVE. We haven't seen cows since, but if we pass sheep, he averts his eyes from them.

I also had a GSP many, many years ago who did the same thing, though they were in a field and we were the right side of the gate, I managed to stop her and she never did it again either. Maybe it is the foolishness of youth!

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

All dogs have the potential to chase (unless trained not to). Who knows what got into his head but it sounds like once he started he was having so much fun he just tuned you out, or perhaps his attention was so taken by the cows and cow pats that he actually couldn't heed you at all.

I'd be going for some on-lead steadiness training around the cows, with rewards for ignoring them and a cross voice for making a move toward the cows. The consequences of chasing livestock are so serious that I think it warrants a bit of verbal reprimand. But, if he is off lead and comes to you after a chase, never reprimand him (even if he has just been really bad). He will associate the reprimand with returning to you, not with the chasing. Always praise a return, even if you actually want to tan his hide and turn him into an attractive floor rug.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You poor thing. What a shock. I bet you felt dreadful not being able to get through the gate to get him. Awful.

I have a dog that loves to chase. So far only balls and joggers though. ::) ::)

Thankfully, he is much more reliable with animals than with balls. The reason is that I have been super strict on all wildlife from day one - he gets into trouble if he even steps towards a seagull - whereas he has been allowed to chase balls.

I definitely have to find a way to do more work around bigger animals though - we've done a bit around sheep, and a tiny bit around horses and cows but that's all.

6. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

I am unlucky enough to have 2 fields of about 50 cows in to negotiate on my daily walks for about 6 months of the year!!! I always put mine on the lead when we get close and they both walk past completely ignoring them. We also walk past sheep sometimes. I think the more they get used to walking past livestock the less their adrenaline is heightened by them. I only wish I could say the same for rabbits and pheasants :mad:

I would walk on lead as much as possible with verbal reprimands if any interest is shown in the livestock. I am sure that over time the interest would die down and if it happened again you would hopefully not have the same problem.

Chloe

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Just a thought Caroline, I don't know if you clicker train but you could do lots of positive walking through Cows, Sheep, horses with lots of lovely treats. I walk through sheep and horses most days and like everyone else has said even a glance gets a "leave it" command in a stirn voice and now Hattie can sit inches from sheep and horses whilst I stroke them and Charlie walks through very well now too. We only see Cows in a distant field so we haven't encountered them much but I still have them sit and look and listen to them. This will work but practice is needed you could ask the farmer if you can take Buddy into his field and walk him round on lead to train also walk round as much livestock as possible. x

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Don't forget if you are in a field of cows with dog on lead and they come to chase you, let the dog off the lead, he will get safely to the fence, someone was killed in a field down my lane last year because they didn't do that.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

oh yes, I read about that on bbc news recently.

Over 200 people a year injured by cows. Very dangerous if they are protecting calves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27588210

Charlie would leg it, for sure.

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good grief I had no idea this happens, thank you Stacia for posting this and Julie for the link. Maybe stick to the sheep and horses Caroline xx

11. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

i have always found that dogs are a magnet for cows. They will follow us along their side of the fence or cluster in a gateway if you pause to admire thew view. I wouldn't walk through a field of cows with a dog.

I have a healthy respect for cattle, having once had to scale a fence to get away from some young ones. They didn't mean any harm but they were galloping towards us and even young they are big heavy beasts.

12. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

There are sometimes young bullocks in one of the places we walk, they're completely loopy loo! So choose some older, calmer cows for your training :D

13. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

I've been fortunate with the dogs I've had ,chasing big animals has not been one of the many issues they have came with.
    Because of you posting this , I am going to make doubly sure it never happens with Cupar.

I have a path that separates my garden from the milking cows. The area I live is mainly dairy cattle.

In fact both my husband and I are self employed and most of our income comes from agriculture. So I know the value of these animals. Your post could so easily be me, and I would be the same, horrified.

Please don't dwell on it , what's done is done you can't change it. What you do now is what counts. if this has knocked your confidence, it would mine, think about speaking to someone who has experience in teaching humans how to teach their dog good manners.( not all trainers are equal)

So thankyou for sharing this with us.

My Total Recall book has now been ordered.

14. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

I agree that dogs are a magnet for cows. If joggers run through the herd they get ignored but if anyone with a dog goes past if they are lucky they just get a stare or unlucky they come over to investigate!

I was chased and surrounded by cows in a pen to protect trees last year. It was very scary.

My walks are dependent on where the cows are and what they are doing. I won't ever walk towards the herd if they are walking towards me. If they are grazing or laying down I am ok to walk through them.

Whenever I meet men out on my walk they can't understand why I am so bothered by them!!!!

Chloe

15. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I'm glad I'm not the only one to be wary around cows. I always say "You only have to be wrong once".

I sometimes walk with a farmer's wife, I'm more relaxed then as she seems to have control over them and knows when we really shouldn't mess with them

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I got stuck in a field of cows once. I am sure they just meant to be friendly but I was over that barbed wire quick as I could when I couldn't find a gate out to safety and Lilly bless her soul jumped the fence safely.
    Not a fan......

17. logger

logger Registered Users

I like to keep away from cows altogether, half a ton of beef with a peanut for a brain isn't a good combination :eek:

18. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Cows, sheep, horses. I try and keep away fom the lot if possible and I'm a farmers daughter !!!! ::)

Sheep for their welfare. Cows and horses for mine. Anything bigger than me which can kick, bite and squash are a no no if I have dogs with me.

My old lab once got into a field with 3 colts. It was my cousins fault she dawdled shutting the gate. :mad:

I've never seen anything like it. The three horses ganged up on Murphy. They surrounded him and basically attacked !!! He managed to get out from the middle of them and legged it as fast as he could out of the field. He never went near a horse again. :-\

Big animals stear clear of them if possible would be my advice. :eek:

19. Alice

Alice Registered Users

We often walk through fields with livestock in (it is hard not to round here). As well as being prepared to let your dog of the lead if necessary I would add never, never get in between a cow and her calf as they are very protective mothers.
    Alice

20. Dr CEM

Dr CEM Registered Users

Thanks for your replies and support. I've been practising the lead walks near cows and treat training- no problems today. I'm hoping it was a one-off but I am watching him like a hawk when off the lead. I live in a rural area- farms and livestock all around. I've got to get this nipped in the bud!