Calming down quickly?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by RMBIII, Dec 28, 2017.

1. RMBIII

RMBIII Registered Users

This is going to sound a little odd, but has anyone else seen a rapid improvement in puppy temperament at some point? My Holly is a 12 and half week old black lab female and she was a complete nut just a week ago. All of a sudden she is calmer and can be redirected much better. Almost over night. It might sound like a complaint but it definitely isn’t. I am thrilled but wondering if anyone else has experienced this. She still had her completely crazy moments and still has a lot of energy but I am enjoying her much more all of a sudden.

alschwahn likes this.
  2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi and welcome ! I think that what has happened is that you are enjoying her more, so you are more relaxed and this has rubbed off onto your puppy ! Pups and adult dogs really do pick up on our moods and anxieties so whatever you are doing, keep on doing it because its working ! Gentle short training sessions and stop the moment she starts messing about is the way forward , she sounds delightful x

3. RMBIII

RMBIII Registered Users

I partly posted for those struggling. It does get better. Read up and learn how to interact with your pup. I promise things improve with proper work and training. For both of you.

4. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I always found that when Axel was more calm for a few days as a young pup that he was having a growth spurt. Then he would be back to his usual mischievous self:D

But it definitely all gets better, then it gets worse again at adolescence, then gets better again.

Looking back at Axel a year ago at 1 years old, I thought he was great, now at two years old it’s a huge difference really and so much easier. So I think we just adapt and love them through each process, struggles and all.

selina27 and kateincornwall like this.
  5. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

My boy has been improving tons! He still jumps up and gets very excited for other people/dogs, but he is becoming SUCH a good boy. He knows when it is time to relax so mom can get some work done. He also willingly kennels now. I feel bad, but I feel like the more he learns/models good behavior, the more I love him. I loved him as a massive stinker, so I know my love for him will just keep growing. Funny how that works!

Me and my dog and selina27 like this.
  6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

How right you are!

Kelsey&Axel likes this.