Can an unvaccinated puppy get sick from cat poop?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Isaac, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Isaac

Isaac Registered Users

my pup Gus is 8 weeks old, i was visiting my friend/neighbor and let him down in the backyard, he was running and exploring until i realised he was sniffing cat poop. My neighbor doesnt have a cat but says that the strays she feeds do go to the toilet there. Im just worried as Gus hasnt had his vaccines and im wondering if he can catch anything from what cats carry?
    Thanks

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think I’m right in saying that dogs can only contract parvovirus from the faeces of other infected dogs, and not from cats.

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Most diseases are species specific so there is little or no risk for an unvaccinated puppy becoming infected with cat diseases; I would be concerned though about the risk of ringworm, fleas etc as the cats are strays so most likely untreated for fleas, worms etc.

4. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Our very first lab became ill after eating cat poop the very first day we had her home. We let her explore our garden. There she ate poop from our neighboring cats. She was vomiting and had runny poos. Off to the vet who kept her overnight at a drip and antibiotics.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Probably unlikely but I would phone vet for advice. I know that before there was a vaccine for Parvovirus the one used for cats was given.

Your pup should still have some immunity from the Mother.

6. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Maybe worms. Distemper. I think it's not likely though as he should have some residual protection from his mother. I don't know of vaccinations for worms anyway.

7. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Yes, even a vaccinated dog can get sick from eating cat poop or any kind of poop for that matter. Doesn’t mean it will happen every time but it is possible. The usual culprits are toxic parasites and harmful bacteria.

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

If he starts being sick or having diorrhea, pop him to the vets to be on the safe side. If he isn’t sick or anything I wouldn’t worry too much. If he starts behaving differently I would call the vet just to check.

drjs@5 likes this.
  9. sabri.1996

sabri.1996 Registered Users

I have a similar question, sorry for using this post but it´s related. I´m getting a puppy (already post some photos in the forum) I have a large garden where some stray cats can go, I don´t usually see anyone because I have another dog (cat friendly) and two cats. My cats and dog are vaccinated, the new puppy arrives home already with the first vaccine, there is any kind of risk of getting parvovirus or other disease from the stray cats or their poop? Some of them live with an unvaccinated dog, from my neighbor.