Can your Lab get bored of his food?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Arti Sharma, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Arti Sharma

Arti Sharma Registered Users

Hi!

My 11 month yellow lab seems to be getting bored of his food. He will reluctantly eat it now where previously he would just devour it. He gets Wellness Large Breed Chicken kibble and then gets a cup of cooked chicken and rice on top of it. Adding chicken and rice was the only way his stomach would handle kibble - tried 4 different types. Does this happen with dogs? Can they Get Bored? We were thinking of adding some canned food and reducing the kibble. Thoughts?

Also, any opinions on giving him Fish oil as a supplement? I bought an odorless oil but I think it makes his stomach upset.

Thanks

2. EmmaHughes

EmmaHughes Registered Users

Hi we too had similar issues and I was getting worried but he was still active which was a relief. He Mason went from eating to not eating till much later in the day. I sat with him and I made it into a game where he was eating individual bits of kibble.
    He has been on the same food since we got him he will be 1 on Monday. I went to pet shop talked it over with them they were keep with it. I went on the forum too and then I started adding chicken cheese and sausage and without fail last couple of months been eating well.
    You can try putting his food in a kong or scattering it outside just few ideas hope this helps

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I think your Lab is holding out for chicken and rice and finds the kibble boring! Also I feel you could be giving him quite a lot of food, so he feels full up. I give mine kibble with just a tablespoon or so of a good tinned meat and stir it in.

Cath likes this.
  4. Dave Collins

Dave Collins Registered Users

Mine would get bored with his biscuits and we changed them several times, eventually tried a good quality meat diet/grain free. Henry loves it, the noise he makes while your putting it out says it all, I will never go back to biscuits.

5. Lucius Maximus

Lucius Maximus Registered Users

Mine will only get picky if he expects something else ontop of his food. Sometimes we give them canned pilchards to change up their food as the same every day can get boring. When it was his birthday (he's 3 now) we gave him lily kitchen wet food ontop of his burns dry food which is hypoallergenic. He loves the fish flavours and the next day he refused his dry food because he'd had a taste of the good stuff! Soon went back to dry when he was hungry though. Still gets Lilys kitchen occasionally and it's also hypoallergenic as he's allergic to wheat.

6. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I add salmon oil to my dog's breakfast (reduce kibble slightly to account for it) and she licks the bowl clean she loves it so much. I added it to help with her dry skin, but I think it's too soon to see results. I also add a few veggies to her dinner kibble. I think some dogs are naturally more picky, and it's harder for them to eat plain kibble/dog treats if they get a lot of tastier things.

Cath likes this.