Can't believe what she's done now!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jennyann, Oct 13, 2013.

1. jennyann

jennyann Registered Users

So I had the audacity to leave the house today to go food shopping.
    Left Rosie in her pen attached to her cage with lots of toys/chew etc.
    Only out just over an hour.

She's only chewed up FIVE of the floorboards in the dining room/kitchen.

Words escape me!!!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Can't believe what she's done now!

*Gasp!*
    Did you manage to keep your cool?
    I know I read on here ages ago that dogs chew when they are anxious. Is she a big chewer normally or do you think she was fretting over your absence?
    Sounds like if she was mine she would be firmly IN her crate next time.
    I hope you are de-stressing this evening.
    :(

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Whoah, really? Oh gosh. You poor thing.

Do you have a crate with a metal bottom? How long had she been left alone for previously?

Um....would it be terribly rude to ask for a photo....?

4. jennyann

Drjs - no she's never been a chewer! She usually is quite happy chomping on her toys. She doesn't even bother with my little ones toys littered on the floor regularly. What she does have a bit of an obsession with is holes. She digs the little holes in the concrete outside. Seem to fascinate her. The pen was over a bit of the floor where there was a little chip - and I think it set off her hole obsession.

I have left her before yes, 2-3 hours prob the maximum. But regularly pop out and leave her in her pen/cage for an hour here and there when shopping or other things non dog friendly. She's never done it before.

She's also chewed apart her bunny tonight (she's usually gentle with cuddly toys and carries them round) - could she be teething???? She's sixth months so assumed she's past that?

I kept my calm yes but did point to the holes and say bad dog a few times. She mooched away guiltily into her cage.....

Yes the cage has a metal bottom but the pen just attached to it over the floor.

My biggest quandary is what do I do now when I go out? She'll have to be caged rather than having the run of her pen too. Silly dog.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You sound remarkably calm about it (now).
    Maybe Rosie is another of our cohort of stroppy teenagers ::)
    Think I would be using a bitter spray or washing up liquid/chilli anti-chew paste, but I suppose its difficult to know where to put it - you weren't obviously worried about the floorboards for goodness sake until she did it.
    :-\

6. jennyann

I've sprayed the areas she's chewed with bitter apple spray.
    But there's a huge old amount of wooden original floorboards unsprayed to chew!

A pic? Lol. Yes I'll upload one.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, yes, floorboards. I have a lot of wooden floor boards. And a chewer. Keep chewer pup off wooden floor boards.

(As I type this, chewer pup is chewing OH's ipad, and I think I'll get up and do something about that in a mo...ah, the tolerance levels to chewer pup increase over time...).

Although, you say she isn't a chewer generally? Maybe there is something else going on. Anxious about you leaving perhaps?

I SO think we need a "teenage labrador" category. Small pups - easy. Stroppy teenagers are the problem...

8. jennyann

Bit tricky to keep her off wooden floors! The whole downstairs is wooden floors!
    But yes she's not usually a chewer so wondering what's going on. Maybe she just got tantalised by the chip....but can't get it repaired in case happens again and can't risk leaving her in her pen in case she goes at it again. Call me picky but we need our floor!

9. jennyann

A teenage lab section - a support section sounds like a great idea!
    Puppies are no bother in comparison!

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hey owners of chewy pups, I posted somewhere can't remember about the KONG shaped bone that can be filled with goodies if you wish or just chewed and apparently lasts forever. It's on Amazon £7.00 and is reviewed highly by chewy dog owners :D. Maybe that would help. Sorry about the floor Jennyann. :( Helen x

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If you get a large bit of cheap lino (you really can get it very cheaply, much cheaper than replacing floorboards) you can put her pen on it with the edges of the lino way outside...that helped me and honestly, Charlie is a champ chewer..... Chip free lino is not at all attractive compared with chew toys (stuffed kongs, goodies bones etc.). Knotty, interesting, wooden floorboards do not survive a determined, chewer of a lab pup....

12. jennyann

That's a great idea with the Lino.
    What an operation each time I go out though hoisting heavy rolls of Lino as well as her pen just so I can go to the shop!!!!
    She's just making life more and more difficult for me and my bump!
    I'm not meant to lift anything - high risk pregnancy. My OH is going bonkers about her.

Oh feeling those tears again - been so calm about it too!

She had a kong toy which had treats in it. Amongst other things.

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, much sympathy... I know. If your pup is a chewer, it's such a pain. I really had to reconcile myself to coping with it and the first thing I think in any situation is "what can he chew?". I just live with the lino. Choose carefully, it becomes part of your decor...mine has a sea shell pattern, which is quite cheery, and I just leave it down...

Chin up, she'll be a lovely dog - eventually... :) :) :)

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Jennyann please stay calm and DON'T lift anything, I have been there with high risk pregnancies. Just leave the lino down permanently until this phase has passed. Deep breathes, we have all been there and some of us are still there :eek: I think most of us have also suffered the OH going bonkers too, but in my house
    it's me ;D. Tomorrows another day, have a good nights sleep and see how things go tomorrow. Keep your bump safe :) Helen x

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Definitely leave it down and get your OH to put it there in the first place!!!

Take care of yourself and your precious bump :)

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The other thing I've learned having a pup that's in training in case they introduce chewing as a sport in time for Rio 2016 is... don't skimp on the kongs. If I'm at work, Charlie gets no other food apart from in kongs and I leave him with 6, 8, 10, plus goody bones etc...the trick is to have them chew themselves to sleep...

Sorry, my pathetic "living with a chewer" tips are probably no help when you are looking after such a precious bump...but just in case it helps...

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yes, I remember the constant Kong phase too.
    Do take care....
    nice relaxed breathing.....
    no lifting......
    Use the crate and put your feet up when you can.

18. jennyann

Thank you for your responses.
    I think I'd be doolally without the lovely support here.
    A good nights sleep and back to my calmer self.

Strange thing is the back room is full of toys including a huge wooden brio train track and she hasn't so much as sniffed them. She's so good. When I'm here!! My neighbour is bringing some Lino she ha in her garage round and putting it down for me. People are lovely. She has a St. Bernard so knows how dogs can challenge!

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So glad you are feeling better! And have a lovely neighbour. :)

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hope you have your sturdy lino down.

Saw this and thought of Rosie......

[​IMG]

;D