Car crates

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Topi Topaz, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Topi Topaz

Topi Topaz Registered Users

Hi, as I've mentioned in my other post we are collecting our puppy in 2 weeks, and so are trying to get ready. I would like to ask few practical questions. What car crate is good for Labradors? We are happy to buy different size for a puppy and then larger one when he grows up. We've got Zafira so plenty of boot space. As for the normal crate I was thinking about getting the Elli-Boo one, as it seems to have good reviews, does anyone has this make, are you happy with it? and again I was going to get a smaller one first and then replace it. Is 24" OK for a puppy? How long would he last in it? Or is better to get 30" first and then move onto 42". Thanks for any advice.

2. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

Hello. We didn't get a car crate, just one of those grill things that stops them jumping over onto the back seat. The one we got was rubbish from Pets at Home, so I don't recommend that! However the breeder suggested for the journey home they just sit on a knee!

We got the 36" Ellie Boo Crate, from the off, with a divider that made it smaller and this has been fine for us. It also fits perfectly into our estate car for longer journeys. I had moments when I wished we had gone for 42", but Jessie is small and we are starting to use the crate less, so I think this will see us out!

3. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

I used a old big cat carrier we had laying around for the trip home. I put in a blanket folded inside and strapped it in our suv trunk so it wouldn't move. It was very hot that day and little over 1 hour drive, halfway home we stopped for a break and I jumped in the trunk and put water in a bowl and let Millie out to drink. She did great the whole way.