Car sickness

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Weensta, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Weensta

Weensta Registered Users

A friend of mine has a six month old Golden Retriever who has terrible car sickness. Every time they try and take her anywhere she is sick and not just once! She recently took her on a 25 minute journey and she was sick 3 times. She is better if she sits in the front foot well but that is obviously not the best place for her. They have been told by the vets that she will grow out of it. Anybody with any advice would be great. We want to take her dog and my lab to the beach/woods etc. :-\

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Car sickness

One of my labs was like this , we realised that it was just fear and not actually car sickness . We would sit with her in the car, not running and give her a few treats . Then we progressed to sitting with her with the engine running but not moving , again a few treats and even feeding her in the car so that she began to associate the car with something nice . Short runs of just five mins followed, gradually building it up , good luck x

3. chrism

chrism Registered Users

A friend of mine also has a dog who gets carsick. He had an anti static strap attached to his car to drag along the ground. They never worked for us when we were kids. Everybody laughed, but for some reason it worked. The dog also gets seasick so he just gives her a little Gravol and she's fine.

4. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

My late Mollie was car sick we managed it by finding where she could sit without nausea, if she faced forward and sat behind the back wheel she was reasonably OK, in front of the back wheel or facing side ways or backwards was awful. She was also better if she was laying down and not sitting up. Was trial and error and over the years we made a few mistakes. But she never actually grew out of it we just found ways round it.

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

My old lab used to get car sick in the back of the Volvo when we went upto Scotland with my parents.

I never fed him before we were going to go out in the car and my dad put a big water bottle, liked you'd have for water supply in a caravan, in the boot with Murphy so the suspension wasn't as soft. It worked. :)

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I know someone who found a Thundershirt helpful when her dog was younger.......but he did grow out of it.

7. Weensta

Weensta Registered Users

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, I will pass them on :D :D :D :D :D