Caring for a 13 year old labrador

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by wolfmo, Apr 12, 2012.

1. wolfmo

wolfmo Guest

My lovely black lab is 13 now and I want to know how much I should be walking him.
    He's also got a horrible larynx problem so his breathing when we walk is terribly labored.
    He's my first lab, so I really could use some advice. He's the 2nd love of my life!

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Caring for a 13 year old labrador

Hi there and welcome to the forum. ;D

I am not one of those who believes that a daily walk is essential, and when dogs get old it is usually best to be guided by them.

If he wants to walk and is enjoying it, then he is probably benefiting. If he doesn't want to walk, I see no point in trying to persuade him to go very far.

Some people make old dogs walk to keep their weight down, but this can be achieved by restricting calories. I would also be guided by my vet as to how much walking is beneficial to him bearing in mind his breathing problems.

What does your vet say?

Pippa

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I agree 100% with Pippa . My darling Lab Tess died last year aged 11 from liver cancer but I`d also noticed that the enthusiasm for long walks was in decline well before she became ill . On a good day , when her arthritis wasnt too bad , she let me know that she was up for a longer walk, but it was more sedate than when she was young . Let him rest as much as he wants too and dont worry too much about exercise , they really dont need it in their twilight years , my girl seemed quite happy to snooze and have the odd fling around the garden .

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Are you sure it is a larynx problem as I thought that was what was wrong with my old German Shorthaired Pointer, but it turned out to be her heart. She went on for a further year with medication after the right diagnosis.

Stacia

5. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

I, too, would let him choose how much to walk - unless you have an over enthusiastic younger dog that's encouraging him to over-exert himself ? :eek:D

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I also have a 13-year old lab (and my almost 16-year old lab/spaniel cross passed away just before Christmas). My advice is also - take your cue from your dog. But painkillers can really help them and after all, why should they suffer if there is some pain relief available? My old boy has arthritis, but with various different types of pain relief he does very well. And some days he wants a couple of half hour walks; sometimes he really only wants to toddle around the block. Both variations are fine with me...

And I second the comment about having the heart check. Sometimes coughing and wheezing comes from a heart complaint, that can also be helped with medication.

It's lovely having an older dog, they are so gentle and loving...