Cast iron guts !

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Apr 13, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I was out yesterday afternoon and asked Paul to feed Sam for me, he knows what he usually has to eat . Last night, I went to the fridge and one or two items were missing , namely some leftover cauliflower cheese with pasta and bacon , some mashed potato with sweet potato and and some small pieces of salmon , guess who had been fed this lot ??? And guess who ended up having scrambled eggs on toast for supper ? I have been waiting for repurcussions today , none whatsoever ::) ::)
    Sam must have thought he was in heaven :)

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Cast iron guts !

Made me laugh!
    :)

Jac

3. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

Made me laugh too. Its always when we're out isn't it?
    Whilst sorting my neighbours rabbits yesterday after tea, my husband managed to miss the clearing up of a whole slab of butter, which Digby jumped up on the side to grab and then promptly scoff- wrapper included....euuwww!!
    Unfortunately we have had repercussions, of the expected type, and after I'd been smugly thinking they had a nightmare cleaning up all that rabbit poo next door - poetic justice I suppose. Digby himself seems fine and dandy.

4. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Labradors are wonderful walking waste disposal units! ;D

Yes, we've had the half pound of butter too, wait until it's the oil from the fried egg pan!!! :eek:. Yes really. I'm sure Hebe is crossed with a giraffe. (I'm saying this with crossed fingers) but at least goes right through, if you know what I mean....

5. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

I certainly do know what you mean.

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yuk, but I think Charlie can top that. David was cleaning out a blocked drain in our garden, he removed some of the disgusting stuff in a bucket to dispose of, Charlie stuck his head down the drain and ate/drank some of the contents, not sure what it was and don't want to think about it :eek:, he stank to high heaven and we have been seeing the results for a week. He had to be persued around the yard with a hose and doggie shampoo which was his very first wash at age 28 months ;D He is absolutely fine, apart from the initial vomit, and he has lost a little weight, so extra dinner to feed him up, eating, exercising as normal but my word how difficult it is to clean up the very runny stuff!! Kerryn I think Charlie is the ultimate waste disposal unit. Helen x

7. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

ooooh, drain goo - that's got to be the worst I've heard about.

8. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Oh Charlie that is gross.....my two have a taste for collitic fox poo...its lucky we love em huh....

on the grub stealing topic, I was heading off for a few days a wee while ago and had packed five days worth of brodick's food (he was still on puppy kibble at the time) in my backpack the night before. Unbeknown to me Cuillin had seen. The crafty minx waited till the next morning to strike, I was in the bath and suddenly became aware of that horrible sound that is Ominous Labrador Silence. You just know they are up to something. Hopped out of bath and trotted to my bedroom where I had last heard them, to see brodick standing looking panic stricken at the door of the bedroom wagging frantically at me. I can only presume Cuillin had put him on guard so she could EAT THROUGH the base of my backpack and then stuff four days worth of high fat puppy food down her in about three minutes. I found her lying under the bed looking quite dodgy already, she was sort of breathing quite heavily and looking a bit perturbed. I had to take her on a train where she expanded quite dramatically and became sort of Tube Shaped. Mortifying, and of course you are fretting about bloat... she looked clinically obese and waddled off the train at Newcastle looking really uncomfy.... wasn't allowed a drop of water for hours and had to be starved for 24 hours, with no exercise... you think they would learn but I bet she'd do it again... :D

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I know Sersi absolutely disgusting.

Debsie I can just picture Cuillin under the bed feeling a bit worse for where, but be thankful there were no after affects on the train, that would have been really embarrassing :-[ but at the same time so glad she was ok and no bloat. Helen x

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Debsie, your post was hilarious. And, Helen, that is a new low, even for a Labrador - they are unbelievable, LOL.

I can't top the drain contents but Labs round here have successfully stolen and processed toothpicks (followed by urgent call to the vet), vacuum cleaner parts, knee-high stockings, a whole chicken (raw), half a dozen raw quinces, sugar cubes from inside a Tupperware container (chewed through) from inside a picnic basket (chewed through), four different types of uncooked rice (while moving house...pooped rice for a week), half a pound of macadamia nuts (highly toxic to dogs but apparently not to this one), a large bag of tomatoes including the bag...etc.....

11. kateincornwall

Loving all these ;D

When we lived in France, my old Lab girl Tess used to love going to the beach at low tide , she would bite mussels off the rocks and then chomp on them to get to the meat inside . She ( and the other dogs ) would also snatch grapes off our vine, this was pre warning of toxicity days , remarkably none of them ailed a thing ::) My old Jack Russell also ate a whole box of chocolates about 15 years ago and apart from revolting end product for a day or two, he was just fine, luck of the draw I suppose :)

12. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

oh dear, is this what i have to expect???? i thought it was just a puppy thing, jasper is trying his best to steal some thing from the work tops, so far i have watched him like an hawk, i can see my sons tea ending up in his belly, :) oh the joys :)

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=1404.msg9505#msg9505 date=1366094349]
    my old Lab girl Tess .... ( and the other dogs ) would also snatch grapes off our vine, this was pre warning of toxicity days , remarkably none of them ailed a thing ::) [/quote]
    Same here - we have three grape vines in our backyard and my old Lab, Nicolae, helped himself to buckets of grapes every summer. After a decade of grape stealing I discovered that apparently he should have dropped dead long ago from grape toxicity. I'm sure it can be a big problem for some individual dogs though, based on what you read anyhow.

This talk of 'Labs reaping nature's bounty' reminds me of plum season (January in these parts). We have a very productive plum tree and Nicolae was on the very closest of terms with it. He'd use every chance he could to eat fallen plums, reach through the wire of the chicken run to gently extract fallen plums that the chickens had not eaten, jump up to grab and eat unfallen plums, dig up plums from where the humans had wastefully buried them... And then he'd deposit their processed remains on the lounge room carpet (usually at 2am).

Right now we are battling Obi's obsession with the very tasty pelleted chicken poo and 'blood and bone' fertilisers that I short-sightedly put all over the vegetable gardens last weekend. After snacking on and digging in these culinary delights it's enormous fun to jump up and leave fertiliser pawprints on the male human's white work shirts while enthusiastically breathing fertiliser breath in the male human's face.

14. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

My 3 year old came tearing in the house yesterday screaming "Digby's eating the babies" - he was quite distressed. Turns out Digby was eating the frog spawn from our pond - nice!! I then had to spend half an hour rigging up a frog nursery protection system....between children and dogs I find myself doing the strangest things.

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

He He!
    Aren't labs wonderful :)

jac

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

One terrible morning when the children were very small I, in normal morning panic mode, trying to get the kids ready for school and myself ready for work, noticed Bones looking a bit odd, and obviously carrying something in his mouth (you know the look ???). I told him to put whatever it was he was holding down. He hesitated, then dropped a human poo on the carpet... I didnt know whether to shout at him more for stealing stuff out of the loo, or to shout at the children for not flushing!!!!!!! Then to top it all the other dog wandered over, sniffed at the poo, and before I could say anything, picked it up and swallowed it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do I win the 'Gross Labrador Story of the Day' prize?????

17. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

So much for me to look forward too! ???

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Karen link=topic=1404.msg9643#msg9643 date=1366267360]
    Do I win the 'Gross Labrador Story of the Day' prize?????
    [/quote]

Yes!!!!!!

;D

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh yes ;D ;D Helen x

20. kateincornwall

:eek: :eek: Oh how gross , first prize goes to you Karen without a doubt :)