Cataracts

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Rocketman, May 24, 2011.

1. Rocketman

Rocketman Lab Technician Forum Supporter

Anyone know anything about dealing with cataracts in dogs? My old lab is half blind with them.

2. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Re: Cataracts

I think technically you can have them operated on, like people can.

That said, is there any need? Most dogs don't seem to mind going a bit blind....

Sam.

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Lab Technician Forum Supporter

It's more that she keeps knocking the kids over! She isn't what you'd call dainty...

4. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Depending on the type of cataracts it is possible to dissolve them using eyedrops try googling treating cataracts in dogs naturally. If it was a human I would make more specific recommendations ;)

5. Sammie@labforumHQ

Hi Carole

Does that work by re-softening the lens? Or removing it entirely?
    (For those who don't know - many people think cataracts are a film on the eye, but they are actually a thickening and hardening of the entirely lens)

I have to say I find 'dissolving' a bit of a scary word in the context of eyes! :D

Sam.

6. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Hi Sam

If the opaque-ness (don't think that's a word? ???) is nutritional based then a potent antioxidant supplement can reduce it "dissolving" the fog or clearing it if you prefer by helping the cells return to their healthy soft state. It is unlikely to clear completely unless caught early. However if the cloudiness is age related then this isn't technically a cataract but Nuclear Sclerosis which won't respond to nutritional treatments (or any other treatments either) In non-nutritional cataracts the anti-oxidants may help reduce ocular inflammation and slow down progression of the cataract but can't stop or reverse it.

The same is true in people - the one supplement my Mum wouldn't ever part with is the one I gave her for her eyes, as it means her cataracts have shrunk considerably and she can read all day without eye strain again.

7. Sammie@labforumHQ

Hi Carole - that's interesting, thanks.