Cats

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Anne123, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Finn hates cats! When he sees one in our backyard he is going nuts and want to jump through the window!

Yesterday evening I walked Finn just before the rain started to poor....We walked in our street, Finn on leash... There he saw the same red cat who has been in our back yard. Most of the times I spot the cat first and manage to hold Finn. This time he saw the cat first! He went behind my back and pulled so hard that he dragged me backwards into the bushes! There I was, laying against a large tree surrounded by bush trees! I had to let go off Finn, he went after the cat with his leash dragging behind him. I called him but he didn't come immediately. He went into a front yard from our neighbors. They luckily haven't see me between the bushes. They saw Finn, but Finn at that time came back to me. He knew he did something wrong. He was very submissive. He crawled to me...I was so angry at him! He probably heard my voice was very angry calling him. I was glad that there was no car at that time! Now I am having bruises all over the right side of my body...very stiff and achy.....:(...

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

He would probably do the same thing with a squirrel. Maybe that cat has been taunting him through the windows? We discovered one of ours did that to the neighbours' small dogs. Dogs usually get perfectly happy with their own cat, maybe even best friends, but still dislike a strange cat.

Other than scratches and bruises to you (sorry) no harm was done. Don't agonize, it was normal behaviour. You will need to be on the alert, there could have been a car. Watch for cats and squirrels.

Our neighbours have started letting the three kittens they got last summer (now a year old) out. The black one was on our front porch when Oban and I went out yesterday. We have a black cat but even I, with my poor sense of smell and only vision to rely on, knew instantly it was theirs, not ours. Oban wanted to chase it.

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I feel for you @Anne123. Coco is a cat chaser & has got the better of me on several occasions. Rabbits too. I try to be vigilant, but sometimes his superior senses beat me.

4. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Yes he does! And so to a fox who walked passed our window in our other house in the woods. A few weeks ago there was a deer in the garden. I spotted it and when I wanted to take a photo Finn saw it too and started barking as if his life depended on it....we haven't seen the deer ever since!

It was in the heat of the moment that I was angry at him! Specially for the fear of the cars which could have hurt him! Also because I was angry at myself that I didn't see the cat first. I didn't expect him there for he was seen in our backgarden when we left for a walk.

5. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Ouch! Hope your bruises heal quickly.

I had the same happen to me years ago when walking my then, weimaraner and a springer/collie cross. They saw a cat that decided to run...they followed, pulling me over and dragging me across a grass verge on my belly! I've never felt so embarrassed and only hoped nobody had been watching from the surrounding houses. It took a few weeks for the scraped knees and shins to heal and the bruises to fade. I eventually saw the funny side, it would have made a great clip on You've Been Framed.

Anne123 likes this.
  6. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Thank you!