Change in fur texture...

Discussion in 'Senior Labradors' started by Beanwood, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I have just noticed a change in the texture of the fur on Caspers back. Just around the base of the tail..so lower back. The fur just seems roughened, the skin is fine, not flaky or anything, just the fur. It's quite subtle actually, no change in colour, just seems a bit dry.
    Just wondered if this is significant? Or just part of normal ageing. I will mention it to the vet on our next visit this Friday.

2. Lin

Lin Registered Users

No idea why, but Finns coat is turning from black to a brownish tinge in places and bits of fur seem to be getting 'rougher'. His skin is fine and he is not itchy, seems not to notice. Be interesting to see if your get has any theories, or if it is just the ageing process, Finn is around 10 now.

3. Beanwood

@Lin yes, I will let you know. The only thing that has bothered Casper recently is a bit of yeast overgrowth in his left ear which has been swabbed and treated. I can't think that would have an effect on his fur though! Casper turned 9 earlier this year.

@Rosie do you remember Pongos interest in Casper? Although symptomless, apparently some dogs can be very attracted to even very low levels of a yeast infection.

Lin likes this.
  4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I do wonder about that. Pongo does sometimes "fixate" on dogs apparently quite randomly, and it does seem that very often those dogs turn out to have something asymptomatic that later develops into a problem. It has happened a few times with dogs round here. I may be imagining it, but it does make me wonder if the Pongster is particularly sensitive to "abnormal" scents from a dog. Another example was when he became hugely and problematically excited around Harley, and soon after Ternaya discovered she had a hormone imbalance (am I remembering this right, @Naya ?).

selina27 likes this.
  5. Beanwood

Really interesting, and my vet did corroborate this in our discussion when I raised it.

6. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Dr Pongo - master diagnostician.
    :rolleyes:.

MF, selina27, Hollysdad and 1 other person like this.
  7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Yes, that was right @Rosie . It was quite strange at the time, but once we found out what was going on with her it answered a lot of questions!

8. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I knew it all along :)

What are his rates?

9. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Has Caspar had much in the way of antibiotics? Sometimes they can cause changes in hair/coat/ wool -- in the latter case the fleeces of sheep that have been treated with abs can be adversely affected.

10. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Casper's about the right age for thyroid issues to pop up. For Brogan that affected his fur until he was diagnosed, then once on his daily tablets everything went back to normal. Probably not the right arm chair diagnosis, but maybe worth asking about?

11. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hmmm. Whatever he charged for the diagnosis, he'd have to pay it back to compensate for medical negligence in his choice of treatment (i.e. bouncing all over the patient with an idiot grin on his face).

Sven, Naya, Emily_BabbelHund and 3 others like this.
  12. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Sky’s coat has changed as she has got older. She is now 11 and I would say it’s changed in the last 2 to 3 years. It is much denser, not always as glossy and the fur is wavier on her back towards her tail. I would describe it as a subtle change and when I look at photos of her when she was younger she was glossier and more ‘seal’ like. I am assuming it’s age.

Lin likes this.
  13. MF

MF Registered Users

I’ve read that intact dogs can fixate and want to lick and mount a dog (male or female) with a UTI. Apparently it smells like a bitch in heat, or at least makes the dog act as if the bitch is in heat. When Snowie went crazy for an elderly JR, I mentioned the UTI theory. The owner was not impressed at all!

Rosie likes this.
  14. Sven

Sven Registered Users

So his charge is play time then, we can go with that. Very reasonable I think, with maybe a drink and a treat at the end

Rosie likes this.
  15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie is 7 years old and I noticed a rough patch on his side. Even now he is on Salmon Oil it is still rough. Maybe old age creeping up!