Change in puppy peeing behaviour

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by octavian, Aug 15, 2014.

1. octavian

octavian Registered Users

Hello. I have a sweet 9 week old choc lab pup and today I have noticed something different about him. I'll try to give as much pertinent info as possible:

- He seems to pee now without any warning that we can determine. He has peed this morning inside the house 4 times, and outside twice, all in a span of 3 hours.

- Typically, we have been able to have him outside to pee every 45-60 mins, and have enjoyed a few accident-free days using the taxi method on a 45-60min schedule. We always take him out after a nap, or if he has not gone after 45-60 mins.

- Today, he peed in the house 5 mins after peeing outside. Once, he peed while sitting down, and not squatting as he usually does. He did this for the first time last night too (sat down and peed, shortly after going to pee outside).

- pee is sometimes yellow, sometimes clear

- I have had him for about 10 days, and until now we have had decent success in determining when he will need to go outside to pee.

- anytime he has an accident, we clean it up right away, and use a cleaner called Natures Miracle to try to get all the scents of the accident out of the floor

- we don't restrict his water, and feed him 4 times a day dry puppy kibble (a top quality 4-star brand as rated by Dogfoodadvisor..."Wellness Puppy"). We spread out the feedings from approx 6am to about 10pm, using the total amount as prescribed on the dog food website

- he was pretty excited this am. Also, he was crated from 12pm with a pee break at 2am, 5:30am, and then at 9am when we got out of bed. The 5:30am to 9am crate time was the longest overnight stay.

- he chased and barked at our cat so we gave him a 2 minute time out in the bathroom, the first time we have done this.

- last few days he has eaten more treats than typical, as we have been teaching him some tricks (which has come along really well).

- saw the vet 5 days ago, did a stool analysis, etc. Just a regular new puppy check up.

Is this something to be concerned about? Or is it a phase? Or did we crate him for too long last night? Is the peeing while sitting down something to be worried about?

Thanks! Sorry for all the info...just trying to give the whole picture as puppy behaviour can be related to many things I think.

2. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Re: Change in puppy peeing behaviour

From my own personal experience if he is weeing a lot more than he did I would take a urine sample to the vet to be tested for infection. You don't need to take the pup unless they find an infection.

Urine infections are more rare in male dogs than bitches but they do happen I know I have two male labs, brothers and they both got urine infections at about 12 weeks.

Is he drinking more than he was ? That is another symptom of a urine infection.

I would take my pups out, they'd wee, then wee again when they got in. Very similar to what you have described I'm afraid. It made house training very difficult until it was sorted as they really don't have control.

If it is a urine infection it's easily treated but if you think it could be its best to get it checked as soon as possible. Due to what I consider veterinary error my dogs bladder infection didn't clear up properly and they ended up with struvite crystals which meant a special diet for 6 weeks as well as more antibiotics.

I'm sorry if I've caused any worry hopefully I'm completely wrong. :)

3. octavian

Thanks Jen. I'll keep an eye on it.

I am trying an experiment right now...he is in his crate for a bit...if its an infection I would assume he would go in his crate correct? This is something that has not happened (except for his 2nd night here).

But I'll see if I can get a urine sample anyways next time he goes, so that I have something to work with in case we decide a vet visit is needed.

4. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Its very difficult with pups isn't it because they have very little bladder control anyway. ::)

I would say yes he should go in his crate.

The drinking more water is a give away though so if his water intake hasn't changed it may just be puppy ness.

If you can see blood in the urine or if when you mop it up it's a bit pink then that's highly likely an infection.

For some reason I was lucky enough to learn all about dodgey stomachs with my old lab and bladder infections with these two lucky me. ;)

5. octavian

Haha I appreciate those brave folk like yourself who have 'trailblazed' all the dodgy puppy ailments for folk like myself.

Good news is no accidents in the crate over the past hour or so, and I have not seen any blood in his pee. His energy seems normal too. Going to take him to the park very soon to help him get some good exercise....will keep close track of his peeing there too.

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Just a suggestion, but you say he has the full allowance of food as stated on the packet, plus he's having quite a few treats.......he might be drinking more water if the treats are dry too, which might account for him weeing more! Also, I would only feed approx 80% of the full allowance of food (many manufacturers over estimate), plus take away some of his food allowance to allow for treats :)

7. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Keeping my fingers crossed. ;D

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=octavian link=topic=7351.msg101900#msg101900 date=1408115327]

Is the peeing while sitting down something to be worried about?

[/quote]

It would worry me. Particularly if it is something he hasn't done before. I would think that's a lack of control and I'd be worried about an infection.

Maybe others can say if they have seen this before in a healthy pup though.

Best of luck with it.

9. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I would say that a vet visit might be a good idea, just to make sure everything is ok. The peeing whilst sitting down is the most concerning I think. My pup used to pee every 20 minutes when we first got her, she couldn't hold it at all! She also suffered with a lot of urine infections in the first few months and it can really impact on house training.

10. octavian

Thanks folks. Appt made to see the vet in a few hours. Hopefully it's nothing strange... I was hoping that uti was mostly a female pup issue but perha0s at this puppy stage it's something for the boys too.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there, catching up here, everything go ok at your vets?
    jac

12. octavian

Just got back from the vet, and you folks were spot-on. Urinary Tract Infection it was. No fever, but cloudy and smelly urine, and the urine test confirmed it. 2 weeks of antibiotics.

I would not have thought it was health-related unless you folks had suggested it so many grateful thanks. Your suggestion to get a urine sample and take it with me also sped along the diagnosis.

Thing that sucks about this is that on top of puppy's discomfort, our insurance policy has a 14 day period after I purchased it, and we are 3 days short. This will now just be considered a pre-existing condition, while I know it was not. Still, I would not have waited as a UTI has to be uncomfortable, and I don't want the little guy getting his pee scent all over the place while being housebroken.

Again, many thanks for helping me figure this out!

Chris, Angie, and Bosun.

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I was late to this game, but glad you got the solution quickly.
    The guys on here are indeed good. Loads of collective experience.
    Hope Bosun is back to normal soon,

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That is a shame about the insurance but great news that your pup will soon be feeling much better :)

With the insurance - see if they will just put a one-year exclusion on your policy, to be reviewed and hopefully lifted if your boy has no more problems in the next 12 months (you'd have to provide a copy of all his vet records). It's worth asking about :)

15. octavian

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=7351.msg102029#msg102029 date=1408141062]
    That is a shame about the insurance but great news that your pup will soon be feeling much better :)

With the insurance - see if they will just put a one-year exclusion on your policy, to be reviewed and hopefully lifted if your boy has no more problems in the next 12 months (you'd have to provide a copy of all his vet records). It's worth asking about :)
    [/quote]

Agreed. UTI must be uncomfortable so there was no question to get it looked at straight-away.

I'll ask the insurance company about an exclusion! Didn't know that was an option!!!

edit: Just called my insurance company (Petplan) and was told that the UTI is a curable issue, so I will be covered for future instances (but not this one, as it is still within the 14 day period). Asked about issues needing surgery caused by future UTI instances and was told again that I would be covered as it is not a chronic issue but a curable one. Took note of the time, date, and name of the rep just in case but looks like my insurance is still fully intact.

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Terrific! :)

17. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Glad this all got sorted out for you - now, get well soon Bosun! :)

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Good news :)
    Get well soon Bosun x

19. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Poor Bosun but the antibiotics will kick in quickly, he will feel much better and you will probably find his housetraining improves dramatically. ;D

Glad your insurance is sorted. ;D

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Well done for going to the vet, glad your pup is on the medication now, and sounds like good news on the insurance front too! :)