Changing flea treatment and wormer

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Reuben, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Reuben

Reuben Registered Users

:-\ Ughhh

Our vet is moving away from stronghold to 'advocate' , for flea treatment. Advocate has side effects with milbemax, so we're forced to change the wormer to
    drontal too

Has anyone experienced any side effects from advocate or drontal ?

Thanks guys, Mark/

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Changing flea treatment and wormer

Does your dog have fleas?! I have never put any flea treatments on my present dogs, aged 13, 7 and nearly 2 and have had no need to do so. I get concerned that dogs have flea treatments when they don't need to have them.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What is the issue with using Advocate and Milbemax? Can you buy Stronghold on the Internet?

We use Advantage and Milbemax. Plus an annual heartworm injection.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We use Drontal Xl and haven't had any problems particularly.
    For some reason though, last time we put them in her dinner she ate around them and left them in the bowl. First time. We have used them since she was a pup and she is 3 and a half now.
    Once or twice I think she has been a bit loose the next day.
    No other issues.

Our flea/tick Rx is Frontline - not sure about its effectiveness to be honest. Not many ticks this year which is our main problem, but took a couple of dozen off her last year in spite of the Frontline. Jury is out as far as I'm concerned.

5. Reuben

Reuben Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3651.msg41148#msg41148 date=1386966744]
    What is the issue with using Advocate and Milbemax? Can you buy Stronghold on the Internet?

[/quote]

Veterinary assistant basically advised that you shouldn't use them together, I googled it and read other similar remarks - they both share the same ingredients, can overdose if you use them at the same time.

6. Reuben

Reuben Registered Users

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=3651.msg41139#msg41139 date=1386964689]
    Does your dog have fleas?! I have never put any flea treatments on my present dogs, aged 13, 7 and nearly 2 and have had no need to do so. I get concerned that dogs have flea treatments when they don't need to have them.
    [/quote]

We don't use excessively, especially in winter but y'know what they say - prevention is better than the cure.

7. Reuben

Reuben Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=3651.msg41168#msg41168 date=1386971806]

Not many ticks this year which is our main problem, but took a couple of dozen off her last year in spite of the Frontline. Jury is out as far as I'm concerned.
    [/quote]

Foul things, I pulled this beast off Reuben in july :

[​IMG]

8. Oberon

[quote author=Reuben link=topic=3651.msg41173#msg41173 date=1386973225]
    [quote author=Oberon link=topic=3651.msg41148#msg41148 date=1386966744]

[/quote]

Veterinary assistant basically advised that you shouldn't use them together, I googled it and read other similar remarks - they both share the same ingredients, can overdose if you use them at the same time.
    [/quote]

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I use Advocate and it protects against intestinal worms as well as fleas etc, and the vet has advised just an additional tapeworm treatment is necessary every 6 months. Before 6 months, we used panacur and drontal in addition to a low dose advocate. Very happy with it, no problems at all. Apart from remembering to restrict swimming after Advocate application.

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

That is a real problem with the spot on treatments for me.
    Getting it on in between swims, trips to beach, rain showers (with subsequent rub-downs).
    And then remembering to put it on when she is LEAST likely to then rub it off on our bed covers........

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=3651.msg41168#msg41168 date=1386971806]

Our flea/tick Rx is Frontline - not sure about its effectiveness to be honest. Not many ticks this year which is our main problem, but took a couple of dozen off her last year in spite of the Frontline. Jury is out as far as I'm concerned.
    [/quote]

Hmmmm my vet gave me a prescription to get Advantix last time I came back to the UK,she thinks Frontline ( which is what they prescribe here) isn't as effective for the nasties we have,so 2 months ago I changed....when he was on Frontline I never took a tick off him,since we changed I've taken about half a dozen off him ( not stuck in him,thank goodness)so I'm undecided too Jacqui....
    Mind you,it's 'tick' season At the moment so maybe I would have taken a LOT more off him if we were using Frontline....

12. Oberon

I know that in tick season here (in coastal areas) numbers rise dramatically. They need a bit of humidity. Vets here also recommend Advantix as being much mor effective for ticks.

13. Dexter

Thanks Rachael,I'll stick with it,Advantix is not available here so they write me a prescription and it took me a good ring round in the UK because ( understandably) vets want to see the dog before they just give out drugs to a random!i finally found a vet prepared to give me it.
    My vet here told me Bayer have got something that seems even more effective though and she couldn't remember the name,she's getting back to me this week so I can get mum and dad to bring some out for me in Feb ....

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's difficult to know how effective any product is - to test a counter factual you have to stop using it. I was pretty thrilled this summer though, using Advantix, Charlie got only a couple of mosquito bites all summer - I got more than that! No ticks, even though he was running through coastal tick areas everyday. Advantix protects against sandfleas too (a problem on some Cornish beaches) too.

Mind, Cornish ticks are no doubt feeble wimps compared to their big brothers in Dubai and Australia...

15. Oberon

Bit off-topic, but it seems as if we can buy some things over the counter here that you guys need a prescription for. Here you can buy Milbemax online with no prescription and Advantix at any pet shop any time you like.

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3651.msg41306#msg41306 date=1387050253]
    Bit off-topic, but it seems as if we can buy some things over the counter here that you guys need a prescription for. Here you can buy Milbemax online with no prescription and Advantix at any pet shop any time you like.
    [/quote]

That's right - I think it's surprising. I must look into why (when I have time).

17. Dexter

Thanks Rachael,that might help me out,my niece is cabin crew with Emirates and flies into Australia quite a bit ....although how much she would appreciate me sending her on a parasite control treatment search for my dog I don't know! :D

18. Oberon

Funny ;D

Any pet shop will sell Advantix but you'd have to go to a big pet shop for Milbemax (or the Internet). Larger pet shops include Petstock and Pet Barn.

19. hd

hd Registered Users

I have always been quite cynical when it comes to these medicines.

Animals in this house have always been on frontline and drontal. This was fine when we brought honey dog home but when we brought Eevee home the vet tried to suggest that these new monthly tablets were the only way to go.

I worry that the fact that drontal and frontline are now available online means that the vets needed something to help them to replace the income that these things had always given them.

Frontline doesn't say it stops ticks from coming on to your dog, it gets them off within x number of hours of latching on.

Same with fleas. Doesn't stop them getting on but will kill them after feeding as it makes blood poisonous.

If it was just for ticks, I wouldn't use it as I've found that our best solution to to me is the green tick twister and a good look over them after walks.

I haven't gone down the heartworm treatment because it just feels rather made to frighten based on money rather than the realities of heartworm threat in the area I live in.

I may be right, I may be wrong. All this stuff is so hard for cynical people like me.

Sarah

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=hd link=topic=3651.msg41354#msg41354 date=1387098744]
    I haven't gone down the heartworm treatment because it just feels rather made to frighten based on money rather than the realities of heartworm threat in the area I live in.
    [/quote]

My understanding is (from google and asking my vet - so might be wrong) that heartworm has never been found in the UK as of yet. Am I imagining that you said you were in Northern Island or was that someone else?

I'm a fan of Advocate and Advantix. Advocate has a good coverage - including ear mites and lungworm, both of which are quite high risk for us. I saw some good quality looking studies on Bayer's website comparing the efficacy of Advantix and Frontline, and Advantix comes out ahead. Although slightly suspiciously, I could not find a comparison for ticks (just all other nasties).