Chew Toy Avoidence

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Leanangle, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Before I got bouncer home I spent quite a few quid on chew toys, puppy kong, nylon bone, rubber dumbells etc.

The lil nutter chews everything APART from the chew toys.

Is this normal or is Bouncer slightly mad?

;)

2. Steph

Steph Registered Users

Re: Chew Toy Avoidence

Normal according to my 5 month pup but couldn't say if it really is normal. We had a couple of kongs when she was small but she wasn't interested until maybe 14/15 weeks when she had them figured out. She seemed to prefer the soft toys and would bite down on their noses, ears and oddly enough, any fabric labels.

3. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

My six month old never really took to Kong's but yes to anything fabric/soft. After these were half-destroyed, I tossed them out. Cooper chews on everything including the sofa in the family room which now has to be replaced, but not until he has stopped chewing. Ditto on the sofa cushions. Not so much anything wooden. I would say chewing is perfectly normal for any lab pup.

4. Debs

Debs Registered Users

My pup didn't chew any of her chew toys that I'd bought. She preferred to chase plastic bottles, chew toilet rolls, etc! ;D

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think you have to put quite a bit of effort in to get them addicted to chew toys (in the words of my puppy book :) ) - I don't think it just happens. I've never regretted it though, it's a god send when you need them to settle in difficult situations. I thanked whatever was looking after me, several times, that Charlie was addicted to kongs when he was injured.

Start with super delicious stuff in the kong - chicken, sardines, whatever. Don't freeze it. Even kibble that tips out easily. Slowly make it harder, then reduce the value of the filling. I got so I could leave Charlie with a tiny breakfast of 50g of kibble spread out (in various imaginative ways) through 6 or 7 frozen kongs and keep him occupied most of the morning.

Try kong goodie bones for a quick fix and more obvious way to get the food out - I stuff the ends with sticks of sweet dried potato wrapped in fish skin. And kong wobblers are the best thing ever.

6. Leanangle

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=7793.msg109038#msg109038 date=1410547661]
    I think you have to put quite a bit of effort in to get them addicted to chew toys (in the words of my puppy book :) ) - I don't think it just happens. I've never regretted it though, it's a god send when you need them to settle in difficult situations. I thanked whatever was looking after me, several times, that Charlie was addicted to kongs when he was injured.

Start with super delicious stuff in the kong - chicken, sardines, whatever. Don't freeze it. Even kibble that tips out easily. Slowly make it harder, then reduce the value of the filling. I got so I could leave Charlie with a tiny breakfast of 50g of kibble spread out (in various imaginative ways) through 6 or 7 frozen kongs and keep him occupied most of the morning.

Try kong goodie bones for a quick fix and more obvious way to get the food out - I stuff the ends with sticks of sweet dried potato wrapped in fish skin. And kong wobblers are the best thing ever.
    [/quote]

Frozen Kongs?

7. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Mira was not interested in chew toys except kongs with edible innards! Still isn't particularly interested in toys of any kind ::)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Leanangle link=topic=7793.msg109048#msg109048 date=1410549479]
    Frozen Kongs?
    [/quote]

If you are successful in getting your dog "into" kongs, then pup will scoff the contents in a microsecond. So once that happens, you start freezing them (at first just for 30 minutes, but eventually overnight so they are frozen solid) and then they take much longer to work the food out of the kong.

I started with amazing kongs - chicken and gravy bones, and sardines...now, I can freeze diluted water from a can of sardines and it keeps him happy for 20 minutes per kong. I own 20 kongs. A dog that has scoffed multiple kongs, and has chewed himself to sleep, is "konged out". This is invaluable if you have to leave them for any length of time. And have a chewer, as Charlie very much is (or was, he is much better now).

It's so worth developing the habit, I think.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Now just to get things in perspective here........
    I don't think Julie is a typical Kong user (well Charlie :D ) - 20 kongs is an impressive haul.
    I just had the one when Lilly was a pup, and have 2 now.
    Don't feel any pressure to buy up the world's kong supplies ;D

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, well, yes, Charlie was a pup that could chew the house down... ;D ;D ;D

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Just for info, this is one thread with quite a lot of kong filling suggestions.
    We definitely consider Julie our Kong Expert Mod (a special cape required)

12. Elaineh

Elaineh Registered Users

Anything plastic is destroyed in record time. The handles of my washing basket have disappeared. Don't need miss maple around looking for clues as most things have tell tale teeth marks on them..

13. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

[quote author=Steph link=topic=7793.msg109020#msg109020 date=1410543199]
    Normal according to my 5 month pup but couldn't say if it really is normal. We had a couple of kongs when she was small but she wasn't interested until maybe 14/15 weeks when she had them figured out. She seemed to prefer the soft toys and would bite down on their noses, ears and oddly enough, any fabric labels.
    [/quote]

orion is wild about labels, too! he will specifically turn and turn a toy 'round and 'round till he finds the label, then happily gnaw/pull on that, and that ALONE. it's quite bizarre. ::)

i've thought perhaps i should buy him one of those "label blankets" that are manufactured for human babies... basically a fleecy blanket with labels firmly sewn all around the perimeter of it. haha

14. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=7793.msg109086#msg109086 date=1410556109]
    Now just to get things in perspective here........
    I don't think Julie is a typical Kong user (well Charlie :D ) - 20 kongs is an impressive haul.
    I just had the one when Lilly was a pup, and have 2 now.
    Don't feel any pressure to buy up the world's kong supplies ;D
    [/quote]

20!!!!!!!! lol wow!

15. Leanangle

Freezing his first kong now, filled it with chicken gravey.

16. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I've stickied the kong filling thread. And will add Julie's post below, it is really useful

17. Leanangle

I am a Kongvert. stuffed the thing with all sortds of yummyness & he woofed it down. Now freezing a bit of chicken gravy in it.

18. Leanangle

I have found somthing other than furniture that Bouncer enjoys chewing.

Hmmm, it looks a bit big.
    [​IMG]

But I think I can fit the whole thing in my mouth.
    [​IMG]

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Aw....bless him!
    So cute!

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Lol ;D
    Harley has a football (garden only) which we deflated very slightly so she can pick it up and play with hubby ;)