Chewing Everything!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by mom2boys, Jul 13, 2018.

1. mom2boys

mom2boys Registered Users

Hi! I have a two year old Chocolate Lab. He won’t stop chewing! From walls to rocks to wood to my couch. Any and everything he can get a hold of. He went to a trainer for three weeks when he was 5 months old. The chewing won’t stop. I can’t leave him alone for a minute. Help!

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Here is some information to read: How To Stop A Dog Chewing And Survive The Destructive Phase

Can you tell us a bit more about your dog's day. Does he just chew when left alone in the house? And is he at home on his own for long?

3. Tammy Cooke

Tammy Cooke Registered Users

We found that occupying them with things they can chew such as kings, toys which they play with to get treats from, etc have really helped.

Like pippa said, when does this tend to happen? Could it possible separation anxiety? Is he in pain, bored or has pent up energy.
    X

4. mom2boys

mom2boys Registered Users

Husdon is crate trained. He must be in his crate when we are out of the house and sleeping during the night. The only toys he has not destroyed is the big black super tough kong. He literally rips apart everything else in minutes. It could be separation anxiety? When we are home he literally follows me around the house. Im tripping over him. I cant even go into the bathroom without him. lol When i sit down he is right there next to me. Its hard to sit on the floor as he climbing on top of me wanting to lay down in my lap. He always carries his kong in his mouth. Always going for shoes.
    What is a good alternative for him to carry around and "mouth" that he cant destroy? It seems when im not giving him my full attention he likes to be naughty.

5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Kong do other toys in the extreme range. There are some more ideas for determined chewers here. The giant knotted ropes can be quite tough too if you buy a big enough one. And a lot of dogs enjoy carrying them about. Bear in mind that many toys aren't designed to withstand chewing so you need to go for a range that is aimed with chewing in mind :) Black Kong and the Black Goughnuts range are pretty tough.

Labs can certainly be destructive if they are bored or lonely. But it's difficult to say whether or not a dog has separation anxiety and even experts disagree on exactly what that means. Is your dog at home alone for long during the day?