Chewing monster!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Oct 10, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

OK, I was warned... Willow obviously feels well at home now and has decided she would like to do some remodelling of anything and everything she can reach with her teeth! We have, of course, removed everything we can, but she's chewing the door, the wall, the TV unit...

It seems she has a super active couple of hours from about 6:30 every evening and makes as much mischief as she can. I start off playing with her - with ropes, her stuffed toy, balls, scratching her belly etc, but after a while, she bores of me and off she trots to make trouble!

I did 10 minutes of crate training to try to settle her down (she kept doing the bum-tucked-under run) and she was great during that, but as soon as I let her out, madness! We also did some sit/stay work but again, once it was over, mental puppy returned.

I've just had a quiet 15 minutes with a new "flavour" of kong I've tried today. She was pretty much ignoring the one with soaked kibble and chicken stock, but the new one of pumpkin puree, chicken stock and honey seems to have been greeted with more enthusiasm.

So, it seems we need more distractions and good things to chew. I've just ordered a kong wobbler and kong stuff-a-ball. Fingers crossed that they turn up post haste! Delivery to here normally takes about ten working days - I wonder if we'll have any walls left by then!

2. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Re: Chewing monster!

Get yurself to your local charity store & buy the biggest stuffed toy you can. It will cost u 50p or so, let her destroy that.

3. snowbunny

We don't have charity shops here :( She does have a big stuffed meerkat toy that she loves playing with, but again, she gets bored after a while, even when playing with one of us.

We're off to the shops tomorrow so will have a look around and see what we can find and I'm scouring the internet for home-made solutions, too :)

4. Steph

Steph Registered Users

Balled up socks are good for an instant home made toy. I've given up on ever having matching socks again.

5. snowbunny

6. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

As for kong filler, tinned Tuna mixed with grated cheese.

Give it a go, she will love it.

7. snowbunny

8. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Let her have her bum tucked run. Chepi just needed to do that to expend some energy. I have avoided stuffed toys as I didn't want her tearing animal like toys apart and also she might eat the stuffing!

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The crocopup has arrived!

Plenty of toys an chews are the order of the day :)

'Give' them to her - i.e. shove them in her mouth instead of hand, clothes, walls, furniture etc!

This phase only lasts a month or two!!

:)

10. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

If you have an old cardboard box you can cut it up and form bits into a small box with a couple of pieces of kibble inside. Tape it up well with parcel tape. Apply to puppy :)

11. snowbunny

We have been out this evening to meet the bin lorry for the first time and see some friends for a quick drink. Angelic as always in company, apart from a rather pungent trump in her sleep while sitting on a friend's lap!

We are now back home, just us two gals, and she is in the process of destroying a couple of balled-up socks. One tired, but happy pup!

12. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

The best kind :)

13. snowbunny

You have to admit, she's very tidy though - keeping all her stuff in her bed!

[IMG width=400]http://i.imgur.com/P4kHO4h.jpg[/img]

14. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Have you tried the Chew Deterrent spray you can buy from Pets At Home? Life saver (and furniture saver) for us. Completely saved the one or two bits of furniture we really wanted to keep in one piece (and the electric wires...)

15. snowbunny

I'm in Andorra so nowhere near any decent pet shops sadly! There's a small one in the capital that I'm going to pop into tomorrow to see if they have anything similar, otherwise I'll look up home recipes for similar!

16. PaulW

PaulW Registered Users

That's a great idea for the cables - Gibson has already decided to take us into the wireless era using his own custom crocopup technology ;) I'm off to get some tomorrow.

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Have you tried willow with an empty plastic bottle? Noisy but effective. Sticking it a sock is appealing too.

18. snowbunny

I have a sturdy plastic bottle she likes to play with. I'm going to try to get a more crinkly one today to go in a sock :)

19. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Maybe now isn't the best time to be decorating our house! Oh well too late now! Gonna get some chew deterrent spray today! How to puppies chew a wall just out of interest?!

Lou x

20. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter