chewing wood - how can i stop it

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by blackjack, Jul 17, 2013.

1. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

Hiya,

Jack loves to chew wood, he like jenga blocks, the wooden knobs on the furniture, colouring pencils and the kids play kitchen!

what can i do to discourage his love of wood?

some knobs have been replaced with metal ones, the crayon have been removed from the room, the play kitchen cant really go upstairs, all our furniture is wood!

2. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: chewing wood - how can i stop it

i was in a right pickle when jasper was younger, didn't know how to stop it :)looking back now, he had no training and i hadn't got a clue what to do......left him to chewing his way through my garden ornamental fence ........my garden was a mess just getting it something like now.... the damage was to the garden so i guess i was lucky, not much in the house....sure you will get the advice you need off the forum :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I wish I could offer a more practical solution - but I lined Charlie's room with a metal pen. He tried to chew it.

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

When Riley was teething he would destroy anything. We bought him sacrificial wooden dumbbells and rope toys all of which got munched but it saved our furniture which we also wrapped in corrugated cardboard. If we were going through that puppy stage again I would try and redirect him onto things other than wood though due to the risks of splinters damaging his throat.

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sorry I cant be of much help except loads of toys on offer , Sam hasnt ever chewed anything indoors, preferred to wreck the garden when he was a puppy ::)

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

When I saw the title of the post my first thought was, "You can't!!" ::) But that's not very helpful, is it?? Unfortunately puppies love to chew just about anything.... And I am discovering that Lab puppies in particular LOVE to chew anything!!!! ;D

However, that being said, you have part of the solution already....get things out of reach! And in the case of your furniture, supervision. There have been times where Simba is sitting by the table and all of a sudden he notices a chair by his nose and the next thing I know he's got the edge of it in his mouth! Or a stool, or a boot rack, or......!!!! In those cases a "no!" and distraction USUALLY works. But there are times when he gets obsessed with something (say, the vertical blinds :mad:) and I have been at my wits end as distraction didn't work!!! I had to put a leash on him and physically restrain him.....BUT if I had been able to crate him for a little while with a chew toy that's what I would have done.

Likely others will have better advice for you...my dog was past the easily malleable puppy stage when we got him but I also missed the teething stage!!!

7. blackjack

thanks guys, hum i guess i keep up with the crate training then, hes only doing it when i go out, hes got a kong wobbler toy, a nylabone, a horse overboot which he came with, his mickey mouse, a few tennis balls what other toys can i leave him with?

8. lynnelogan

i only left mine with kong toys,.....he would chew through his other toys.....so unsupervised for me was just the kongs :) then i bought strong pet toys, he chewed through them.....kate i am sure jasper is sams baby ;D

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Just another thought....we wrapped chicken wire around the trunk of our plum tree in our back yard that Simba had decided made a great chew toy....so the idea of putting something around chair legs, etc might work....

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hmm....*aversive alert*

Lilly wasn't a big chewer but she did go for a couple of things in the house.
    The bottom of our door frame and the bottom of an exercise bike (don't ask ::) )
    My colleague's tip was to make a paste with washing up liquid and chilli powder which you could then paint onto a hard surface. I guess it didn't smell great and one lick would be memorable.
    This was before I knew about C&T etc.
    It certainly helped us to stop chewing without any apparent ill-effects.
    Once it had done the trick it could simply be wiped off.

I wouldn't probably use this now before exhausting positive reinforcement but thought I would mention it just in case of dire emergencies! ! :eek:

Jac

11. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, there are also spray on stuff that you can use....not sure how well it works... The bitter apple stuff worked good with previous dog but vet sprayed it on Simba's neuter incision and we all know how well THAT worked..,, ::)

12. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think your only option is to continue with the crate training and to make sure he has had exercise and mental stimulation in the shape of some training before he has to spend some time in the crate. :)
    Caddie used to chew absolutely everything when she was a puppy. Even though she was crate trained we did have a few memorable incidents. :eek: She showed her early love of retrieving by fishing a spent printer ink cartaridge out of the waste paper bin and chewed it in the middle of the living room on a beige carpet. :eek: ::) The carpet was an insurance job and it took me days to get the ink stains off her white bits! :p ;D

Just one word of warning, I definitely wouldn't leave any tennis balls lying around. They can get chewed in no time and the dog could easily swallow bits which really would not be good. Plus tennis balls play a big part in my gundog training and therefore are never left for the dog to play with on his own but are always put away after training, the same as dummies. :D

13. lynnelogan

heidrum you are spot on.....jasper can chew through a tennis ball in seconds.....if i have been in the garden playing ball and i forget to bring it in, its chewed instantly :)........i don't think there are many toys that are safe to leave then unsupervised with....the kongs are fine, a big thick rope toy, ruff and tuff one, and i have a thick rubber tube,......none of them he as managed to chew through :).......even the expensive toys jasper as chewed through .....when jasper was very small my grandson brought him a ball, its a good job i was here as he got the ball stuck between his top teeth and bottom teeth .....hate to think what would have happened to him ???......from that day if i have to leave him i choose his toys wisely :) to be honest i would not have give it a second thought up until this happened :)

14. blackjack

arggh! today he got a book and ripped that up! irony is its a dog training book! he was left just under and hour, with his kong as well as his other toys, grrr.

crate training will take a step or two forward today me thinks!

15. Newpuppymom

Newpuppymom Registered Users

My dog missed this phaise I think.

He has never chewed anything up. Not even a tissue lol.

The most he chewed on was the rug and I told him off and he stopped it and never did it again. And it was only a nibble.

Then it was the garden bench but we threw it out because it had fungus growing on it.

Sometimes he will jump up the fench and try to catch the ivy and eat that but its only when I forget to trim it back.

And that's it? Even teething he never bothered chewing stuff up.

I buy him other stuff that keeps his attention.

Such as I know his real love is for meat and bones. So I would ask my butcher for any large bones and if they have not got that then I buy the ham hocks. The raw ones. HE LOVES IT!

Or buy him a slab of meat from pet shop in the freezer section and feed it frozen. Or feed a frozen chicken segment.

have you ever heard of bitter apple spray? If you see him chewing something spray it with the bitter apple. they hate the taste.

How far have you gotten with crate training?

16. blackjack

hiya,

Crate training as follows and from following the fab advice from everyone on here, prior to the crate hes never been restricted at his previous house.

crate arrived and was put in the corner of the room - door open. Left like that for a couple of days

then throw a toy into the crate - allow jack to retrieve and come straight out - have done this quite a bit

throw a treat in shut the door and leave the room also shutting lounge door, left for about 30 seconds, came in released, praised and treated, have managed this twice.

im going to continue this but leaving for longer periods 1 min, then 1 .30 etc until we have built up the time.

hes only destroying stuff when im out and im now of the mindset that crating is the safest place for him to be when im not here to supervise.

will also look into the sour apple spray as we have a lot of wood in the lounge/diner and the kids have wooden table and chairs.

17. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Can you make the crate his bed? Take up all his bedding and put it in the crate, take away his old bed. When he is tired after feeding etc encourage him to go and have a nap in the crate. Same think a bed time, make the crate his new sleeping place.

18. Newpuppymom

Only other thing i can think of is white vinegar spray. but that really stinks. lol

All dogs that i am aware of will howl the house down when crated for the first week or so. You just must wait till he stops before letting him out for at least 30 secs or he will make it a trend and howl to get your attention.

Has he any access to possibly chewing threw electrics? You really have to weigh it up. Is it safer to start crating him as opposed to not and him chewing something dangerous. But positive training MUST continue. I would feed every meal in there as well as ALL treats.

Whats everyones view on this?

19. Newpuppymom

What worked for me and you really have to know not to push this too far is to take away his bedding everywhere else.

Play with him for a bit till he wants to sleep but dont let him lay down unless in his crate. Ask him to go inside with some chicken or something he loves and keep doing it. Dont let him lay down anywhere and keep asking him to go to bed.

If he plays up a storm then stop as you dont want to damage anything between you.

It worked for me. Within 10 mins he was asleep in there but my pup has never been a big issue before :-\

20. NorfolkHomemadeMum

NorfolkHomemadeMum Registered Users

I feel your pain Beulah chews constantly & pretty much everything in sight especially woody things in the garden, the bark (has been cordoned off & is being replaced with turf on the no dog side of a new fence), my damson tree trunk, the boys trampoline, my sun lounger, a shrub. I even caught her gnawing on the ceramic kitchen floor tiles this morning!