Chews for 12 week old puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Gemma, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Gemma

Gemma Registered Users

Hi all, just a quick question about chews for Toki who is 12 weeks. I want to give her something as well as her stuffed kongs, something that might last a little longer and is a bit different. I dont really like the thought of rawhide as i'm paranoid about her chewing off big bits so wondered what else i could give her to occupy her for a bit but still ok for her little tum. Are Rice bones OK for a 3 month pup or I heard about smart bones but I cant see if these are ok for young puppys. My brother has given his pup a pigs ear which he loved but he is a bit older at 6 months! Any ideas are most welcome, thanks!

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yes, rice bones are great for puppies and buy you 20 minutes peace!

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Rice bones should be fine; I never used them myself so I can't comment on how long they would last. I know they last the average adult dog a microsecond, but I'm sure are somewhat longer lived for the needle-teethed monsters :)

Do you freeze your kongs? Even my adult dogs take about twenty minutes to finish a medium kong stuffed with raw mince and frozen. The large ones, stuffed with soaked kibble and tinned sardine, last just over half an hour.

4. Gemma

Gemma Registered Users

Yes I freeze her kongs with soaked kibble! Its only a small kong at the moment as she still little but they dont last that long with her! Its just I dont have a freezer at work to keep them in so by the afternoon I feel I need to give her something else. Might try a rice bone and see how she gets on!

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I give Juno SmartBones or SmartSticks a couple of times a week at lunchtime. I've just looked at the website and they don't specifically say for puppies as the sizing is done by weight of the dog for the bones although they say that the SmartSticks are suitable for all dogs.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Rice bones are good, but expensive and no use after about 15 weeks (chomped up in no time) Hedgehog chews are good for littlies :)

Link - http://tinyurl.com/nru3jzh