Chews

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Jen, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi all

Back to the frequently discussed topic of chews.

I've gone off antlers. I gave them new ones at Christmas and scout broke quite a large piece off which luckily I managed to get off him. I think it's when the antler branches have been taken off. Where the antler branches seems weaker.

Today is Scott and scouts birthday. They are 3 I can't believe it's gone so quick.

This morning I gave them a new bacon flavoured nylabone but I think it's too big for them as they had difficulty holding and chewing it. However I suppose it will last longer and less likely to bite down hard.

That's my worry their teeth so I've been contemplating a solid rubber bone ' old navy hard rubber bone' on amazon.

I know the best thing to give to chew would be edible chews but they'd last 2 minutes or they'd fall out over them.

I just wondered if any of you had experience or opinion on hard rubber chews. I'm assuming they'd be better for teeth.

Sorry to bring this mine field up again. ;)

Jen

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Chews

You can't beat a raw meaty bone. ;)

3. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I've tried nylabones, various imitations of nylabones and antler chews but Penny just isn't interested in them unless she can actually eat them.
    I've found bullie sticks (also called pizzle sticks) the best as they last far longer than rawhide or marrow bones. However they might not be so great if you're worried about them arguing over them, could you seperate them for an hour or so just so they can have 'alone time' with their bones? Or just make sure you closely supervise them.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I agree with Heidrun on the meaty bone.
    In our house however its an outside only treat, so only happens if the weather is fair (she will stay out for hours chewing on it) and If we have been to the butcher for a joint or such-like which isn't every week ;)

I quite like the vegetable chews - in particular the hedgehogs, but also you get toothbrush shapes and crocodiles.
    Because the hedgehogs are hollow I often stuff them too, Kong style.
    We have had them from EcoDog in the past
    http://www.ecodogcompany.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/natural-dog-treats/vegetarian/masterpet-hedgehog-detail?Itemid=0
    but you can get them in Pets at Home and other pet shops too, though these are the LARGE ones which are around 9cm tall - I think PAH sell the medium or small ones.
    Better after being in the freezer, whether you stuff them or not 8)

5. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

[quote author=Jen link=topic=3856.msg44130#msg44130 date=1388667287]

I just wondered if any of you had experience or opinion on hard rubber chews. I'm assuming they'd be better for teeth.

[/quote]

I think they would have been... had my dogs had the slightest interest in chewing them.

We tried these recently (got them from Pets at Home). http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Bone-Dental-Large-3pk/dp/B003ZNXCMW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_3

Brew and Theaks adored them - but they lasted minutes few. So we're still looking for a long-lasting and tempting to chew option. If it's something appealing, they don't have any disagreements and will lie down side-by-side to chew. If it's something like rawhide, Theaks usually wants to take Brew's off her once she's got it started! He likes them so much better when she has rendered it soft and warm and gross for him...
    Clare

6. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thanks all.

I like the hedgehog chew idea. :DMeaty bones would definitely cause an argument. :(

I'm not convinced my two would chew a rubber bone either.

Would you give a hedgehog chew every day though. Assuming they get through one a day?

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly gets one now and again - they are sold as dental chews, so I suppose you could.
    They last Lilly about 15-20 mins. Not long, but they last longer than Pizzles (5 mins), but not as long as a meaty bone or a rawhide which lasts for several hours.
    She isn't interested in the flavoured plastic/rubber bones at all, though she did chew one to bits on afternoon in the summer. Fits and starts on the antlers - not the biggest success.
    Have you tried Anco Roots? - Lilly isn't interested, but other dogs like them
    http://www.ecodogcompany.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/natural-dog-treats/dental-chews-for-dogs/anco-roots-detail?Itemid=0
    Again, available elsewhere too!

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Kong goodie bones - they are rubber bones but you stuff the ends. This get and keeps Charlie's interest. Of course there are as many ways to stuff the ends as for kongs. But they don't take half as long to prepare, need hardly any food, and the food is much harder for the dog to get out than a normal kong.

Current fav stuffing is a stick of dried sweet potato wrapped in fish skin. 5 of these lasted Charlie ages when I had to leave him this morning. There is even a bit of sweet potato left that he gave up on...

9. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thank you will look into those ideas aswell. The more the better. :D

Do you know if you can freeze dentastix ?

Ps. Are the anco roots digestable if bits are eaten ?

Sorry this is like a game of 20 questions. ;D

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

LOL
    Don't see any reason why you couldn't freeze dentastix!

Anco roots are like hard wood - they can break bits off, but its not wood like a stick so they don't splinter. I'm pretty sure they are harmless if small bits are swallowed. All puppy and dog chews should be used "supervised" anyway - I must admit that Lilly didn't chew it enough to properly test this out. I think its masquerading in the garden as a rock somewhere.

11. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Think you should test this out scientifically, Jen - time taken to demolish frozen and room-temperature dentastix... It sounds like a great idea to freeze them, because dentastix usually seem to disappear in a matter of gulps, very little chewing involved!
    Clare

12. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Exactly Clare that's why I've never really used them.

Iam very vigilant when my dogs are chewing due to the strange things they have swallowed and thankfully have passed through. ::) unfortunately scout is still not good at giving things up. I'm assuming aswell that bits will come off as they chew otherwise they'd last forever ;). So presumably they are either digestable or will pass through.

I'm now going to ask a stupid question because I know a lot of you use it, I think, but just to clarify peanut butter is ok to give dogs? Is chunky peanut butter?

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

For pups I think smooth is better than chunky (that choking risk again ::) ) but peanut butter is perfectly safe.
    I think its because peanuts are actually legumes rather than tru nuts,
    No hesitation in recommending this,
    Now.....who's dog is it that can open the jar AS WELL as thoroughly lick it out?? ;D ;D ;D

14. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thanks Jacqui. I've just emailed the ecodogcompany to ask my neurotic questions about the anco root.

Looks like Scott and scout will be getting peanut butter kongs and a big chunk of wood stuff. They'll think it's Christmas all over again. ;D

Thanks for all the advice

Jen :D

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Got ours an anco root each , they loved them too . In summer when they can be outdoors a lot , Sam has the odd meaty bone or a marrow bone which lasts him absolutely ages, but I take it off him if I see him chipping at it :)

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Meaty bones and marrow bones here, keep them occupied outside for hours :)

17. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I can't give my Lab bones as he won't eat them outside, stands at the door looking pathetic to come in with it!

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I agree with Jacqui in regards to the vegetable chews - they seem to last Harley a lot longer than most chews. And like Julie, I use kongs on a daily basis.....I stuff them with natural yoghurt, peanut better, banana, salmon mousse and lots more - I always freeze it the night before as it takes a lot longer to get the food out. These have been a godsend to me :)

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Soft, meaty bones can't be beat :) We use chicken thighs (bone in), lamb necks, turkey wings - stuff that won't damage teeth but that has to be sliced through and crushed with the rear teeth.

We also brush Obi's teeth.

20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Simba loves those Smart Bones - they aren't really long lasting but better than the Dentastix. He also really enjoys the Nylabones on and off - less so now that he's getting older and less "chewy" but he still picks them up and gives a chew at least once a week.