Chicken Bones

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Samantha Jones, May 28, 2016.

1. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I am confused about giving a puppy chicken bones. I always thought that chicken bones were not to be given to dogs, but I have read on here that they are OK to give to puppies. I would like to try my boy (14 weeks) with them but do you given them bones from cooked chicken or do they have to be raw?

The reason I am focusing on chicken bones as that is the only meat I can cope with (being a veggie and a complete coward regarding meat). Also Bailey absolutely LOVES chicken - according to him it is the best thing in the world and he will do anything to get his paws and mouth on some!

Appreciate any advice.

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Always raw bones, never cooked! You could start a puppy with a raw chicken wing.

Samantha Jones likes this.
  3. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I'm told that raw chicken bones are wonderful for puppies - they give them a good exercise in chewing and clean their teeth (as well as being nutritious and delicious). Pongo definitely agrees, they were his best treat when he was little. But they must be raw - when bone is cooked it becomes brittle and will splinter into nasty sharp shards that can be very harmful. Raw bones, although they looked hard to us, are actually pretty flexible and can be easily broken down and digested.

Don't be disturbed if you find that your pup gobbles up the bones, swallowing quite big bits, and then soon after vomits them back up again...and then eats it again! It is disgusting but quite normal, and all part of them learning how much they really can eat at once...

Pongo sends licks to Bailey and tells him to get ready for the gastronomic highlight of his young life.....

Samantha Jones and drjs@5 like this.
  4. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Just have to say - I love the picture of your little pup. I give my dog frozen chicken wings as a treat.

5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh yes, frozen works well - especially when they are teething (the cold is soothing to their sore gums). The bones last a little longer too!

6. Samantha Jones

Thank you all very much - that is clear now...better go to Iceland then! Bailey said to thank Pongo and sends licks back...he has already plotted the fastest route to our nearest Iceland :D

@Jes72 thank you - the picture was taken seconds before he launched himself into the patch of bluebells - de-heading them left right and centre! I no longer have flowers in my garden :rolleyes: :facepalm:

Rosie likes this.
  7. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I've put wire cages over my flowers! H broke off all my iris flower buds just before they were about to open. Puppy vs garden!

8. Sophiathesnowfairy

Sophiathesnowfairy Registered Users

<rushes off to Iceland to stock up on chicken wings>

9. Samantha Jones

My iris flowers have also bitten the dust! Just a few leaves left which Bailey is determined have no place anywhere that he is! Hey ho guess I will be planting in pots in future :rolleyes:

10. Samantha Jones

Guess I will see you there! :D

Sophiathesnowfairy and Rosie like this.
  11. Samantha Jones

Just wanted to say a big thank you from Bailey - he adores his frozen chicken wings...in fact now when given one he now gets so excited he lays in front of the chicken wing and barks, growls and wags his tail before pouncing and devouring it in about 2 mins flat! As today was his 16 week birthday he had not only a frozen chicken wing, but also a raw egg - he thinks its Christmas come early! :D :chuckle:

drjs@5 and Dexter like this.