chicken wing reward for good training session

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Loopyloo30, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Well we just got back from puppy training and Bob was SO good again! We were doing sit, stand, down, spin, not jumping up and heel work! We've been practising walking on a loose lead for a while now and he's doing brilliantly. We just reward eye contact when we are doing it and when they are looking back at you, they can't pull.

Usually we don't give him lunch before we go so he responds really well to treats.. but I think the poor dog was totally starving today. So in future I think we'll give him a half lunch or something. Just got home and got him to do a lovely sit and then gave him his first chicken wing as a treat. He crunched it for a while then swallowed it whole...

Question... is there any risk of choking with giving him things like that? Also my boyfriend asks why a dog can have raw chicken but we as humans can't? Do they not get salmonella? Just thought I'd ask!

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: chicken wing reward for good training session

Well done, Bobadog! Sounds like you deserved your chicken wing :)

To answer your questions, there's always a small risk of choking, like with any food, but it's easy enough for them to cough it back up if needs be. Him crunching it means it will be nice and flexible to go down. If you're worried he's rushing it, you could always bash it a few times with a rolling pin to smash the bones up yourself.

Willow does the same with chicken wings. She basically crushes the bones and then swallows it whole. A couple of times she has regurgitated it later on and given it another go, but normally she's OK first time. Don't freak if he does that, though, he's just making it a bit easier to digest, even if it looks gross to us!

There are several reasons dogs don't get salmonella like we would. This is just from what I've read, so if it's wrong, people feel free to correct me!
    Firstly, their salvia is antibacterial and destroys harmful bacteria. Secondly, they have a very short digestive tract, so any bacteria that are left don't have time to multiply inside. Thirdly, a dog's stomach acid is far more acidic than ours so isn't ideal for bacteria to thrive.

Apparently, dogs' stools often contain salmonella, whether they're raw- or kibble-fed, which shows they are good at passing it out of their bodies. But as far as you're concerned, make sure you wash your hands and any surfaces well after they're touched by raw chicken, and don't eat the dog poo ;)

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Well done Bob :) hope your chicken wing has stayed down and you enjoyed it :)

4. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8719.msg123405#msg123405 date=1415804791]

Well done, Bobadog! Sounds like you deserved your chicken wing :)

[/quote]

"Bobadog"

fantastic